I've never done this before, blogged that is...

purpledots13
purpledots13 Member Posts: 5
edited September 2011 in General discussion

Hi there my name is Penny and in May last year I was chopping wood and after I felt a lump in my armpit it hurt. When I went to the doctor she did a breast exam and suggested I wait a month and see if it went away. 2 weeks later a lump appeared a bit like mastitis. The day after my 44th birthday I went to have my first mammogram then an ultrasound. Had to wait over the weekend to have a fine needle biopsy what weekend. On the 7thJuly 2010 I had a masectomy and auxillary clearance and 3 weeks later had my right kidney removed because that was all cancer not related thankfully. So now after 8 lots of chemo, and nearly finished herceptin.. I am about the see a surgeon to have a reconstruction and the other breast removed. I have read that expanders and implants are good for small breasts but does anyone know if they can do them for D cups???

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi, so sorry to hear about both of your cancers. Hope you are doing well. I will be having a second mastectomy and insertion of tissue expanders next Wednesday. I had my first mastectomy last December. I'm only a B cup, but my friend who also had a bilateral mastectomy and implants, went up to a size D cup without any issues. Her new boobs look amazing, infact it was her good job, that convinced me to have the same surgery and the same surgeon. I'm quite happy to remain a B cup, as that size has served me well.
    When will you begin reconstruction?
    Love Chris xxx
  • Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

I was a D before mastecomy, but now I am a C.  My original mastecomy was in 2007 and was radical and the surgeon did not think we would have enough skin to give me a D.  He said I could try but there was a small risk, so I opted for a C and am happy with that.  Provided there is enough skin D cup is always an option.

Good luck.

Tanya

• purpledots13
    edited March 2015

Thanks for your support ladies, My boobs have always been a problem when I was 15 they were a DD by the time I'd had my 2 girls I was wearing a 22J which was as big as bra's went. Only 7 years to the day I had my left breat removed I had a reduction to a Dcup and back to size 16 bra's. Being on the chubby side I just don't want them too small but I suppose it really doesn't matter that much I am happy to be here. I am not sure when reconstruction will happen but I am seeing the doctor tomorrow Yay.

• Chris
    edited March 2015
    Hi, do you mind me asking about your kidney cancer? What type of cancer is it and what type of treatment do you need to have? It is a bit of a bugger to have 2 cancers at the same time. I hope all the treatments go well for you. Just to let you know, it was discovered that I only had one kidney when I was about 8 years old, and tripped up some stairs and ruptured it. Being my only kidney, it shut down and I became very sick. Lots of tests later, they discovered that I only had one kidney, and a dead looking kidney stump on the other side. The doctors had no idea if I was born with 2 kidneys and one became diseased and died, or if it was like that from birth. Anyway, it healed well, and it has caused me no issues throughout my life. I was able to successfully carry 4 pregnancies to term, which is
    something the doctors use to say might be a problem
    for me. My kidney has done the work of 2 kidneys even
    though it had been injured many years ago.
    Good luck with all your treatments.
    Love Chris xx
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Hi Penny,
    How did your trip to the doctor go the other day? Do you have a reconstruction date yet? Is this breast cancer, your second breast cancer? What treatment did you have 7 years ago? Sorry about all the questions.
    Love Chris xx

• purpledots13
    edited March 2015

I don't really know what type of cancer it was just that all of my kidney was cancer there were three lumps of it just the outside was okay. The only treatment I needed was to have it removed. They wouldn't even have a guess at how long it took to develop to the size it  was. It must have been like it for a long time though cos they couldn't believe my urine output the next day was normal. I was in hospital for 3 days.

• purpledots13
    edited March 2015

My doctor was nice but unfortunately I can't get a D cup with expander , because I have also had radiation treatment and that has affected the skin. I asked what the biggest size he could do was and he said a B cup, but he would not consider doing that beacause I would be out of proportion then. So I was needless to say very disappointed. He also said that there is only one suregon in WA that does the surgery he has now recommended. Because I want to have the other breast off too he thinks the best thing for me is to have a reconstruction using my stomach which there certainly is enough of and this will allow me to have a D cup, not that size is the be all and end all. That is just  his suggestion. So no I don't have a date yet. 7 years ago I had a reduction from 22J to 16D. I hope my answer isn't too long winded Thanks for your concern it's lovely

Love Penny