Contraceptive Pill

Options
Doin'it
Doin'it Member Posts: 377
edited August 2018 in General discussion
Wondering how many of you girls have taken the contraceptive pill long term. I did & can’t help but wonder if it had anything to do with my breast cancer 

Comments

• Doin'it
    Options
    Great reply, thanks @Afraser x
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    Hi @JenniA, I'm 44 and I was on the pill since the age of 16 until February last year when I was diagnosed. I was told to stop it immediately as I'm er+. My oncologist said it could have been that but no way to tell. I have no family history of breast cancer.
  • Doin'it
    Options
    Makes you wonder hey @LMK74
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    @JenniA, it sure does.
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Options
    On the flip side, I never took the pill, I had my tubes tied at 28, yet here I am.
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Yes I was @JenniA but I believe I was on a lower dose for a long time !
    Who knows !
    Guess we will never know !!
  • Doin'it
    Options
    I guess I just wanted to discuss it, knowing I wouldn’t find an answer. Sometimes things go through your mind & it’s good to be able to spit them out xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    And that's one of this forum's specialties!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I was still on it at 53 when diagnosed. My doctor said stop it immediately the cancer is feeding on it. My periods also stopped immediately. Full on menopause right through treatment and hormone therapy. It's not fun.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My mum didnt take the pill, had 4 kids and breast fed them all, both of which are meant to be protective. I don't have kids but had periods start at 14 (ie not too young), and went through premature menopause (pre cancer), both of which should have been protective even though I took the pill. Both of us were diagnosed with breast cancer before age 45. Probably genes involved (not the known ones, as I have been tested). 

I stopped taking the pill as soon as I knew my cancer was hormone receptive. My surgeon concurred with that decision although she said the low dose of hormones from the pill would not have made much difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I was on tbe pill for 11 years. So 20 years off before developing bc. I ensured no HRT etc through menopause due to family risk. Made no difference. I know tbe pill can be a protective factor against ovarian cancer so go figure.
    I think the risk is only if you have breast cancer as it provides estrogen. It is not the estrogen that causes the  cancer just a mutated cell your body doesn't recognise as abnormal.