Next surgery

Options
TassieGrandma
TassieGrandma Member Posts: 11
edited July 2018 in Day to day
Hello to all the lovely ladies on here. I don't post much but I read a lot of your posts, and comment where I feel I can be supportive. After my first lumpectomy, the path results came back without clear margins, so it is back to surgery next week, 26th. I had been feeling quite detached and pragmatic through the diagnosis, biopsies, hookwire (yuk) and surgery. Then I kind of fell on my butt when my surgeon said that she needed to operate again. I think I had myself convinced that it would all be over, bullet dodged and thank my lucky stars.  I am struggling with what comes next if this next time the margins aren't clear. The unknown I suppose. Does anyone else feel like they wish they could just go to sleep and wake up when it's time to hear the results? I don't do waiting very well at all.
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Oh gosh yes Tassie Grandma! I wrote the same thing here a few months ago when I was having chemo and I recall several agreeing with me. I had to have a re-excision for margins too. We're in an unlucky 12%... It knocked me for six as well. My re-excision unearthed a 4cm dogleg of DCIS which had been completely invisible on the mammograms and ultrasounds I'd had to that point. So probably a good thing in a weird kind of way.

Take some deep slow breaths to settle your nervous system. Distract yourself doing things you enjoy, seeing friends, giving yourself a treat, and try not to cross bridges until you come to them. Hang in there fellow warrior. Big hug, K xox
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @TassieGrandma I’m with u - I have found all the waiting the worst - luckily there hasn’t been much of it but I’m not the most patient person in the world. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @TassieGrandma, I was so ignorant about bc before I had my bout. I thought it was like little or big golf balls; easy to pluck out. I too had a re-excision because of unclear margins. Luckily the surgeon was happy second time around. I now know that bc comes in all shapes and sizes and makeup. Best wishes for your surgery next Thursday, and for results the following week. Keep in touch. Are you going to line up some treats in the next week?
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I understand how you feel about waiting - I wish I was like @joannie and could distract myself.  I also had the whammy of no clear margins (and affected nodes) when it looked pretty clear from all the scans, etc that it was small and contained but that's the nature of lobular.  I found walking helped me with anxiety (weather's not the best for that down here at the moment, though).
  • MsHJW
    MsHJW Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I havent posted before either but I'm in the same situation as youself, go back for 2nd Surgery on 26th as well, been just going thru motions of doing what has to be done thinking all will be well...it is what it is I suppose but yes worrying about what if still no clear margins...
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @MsHJW

Welcome to the online forum.  You will find many generous members sharing and supporting each other here.  

I am sorry to hear that you need to go back for further surgery on 26th of this month, understandably you are feeling abit apprehensive.  From what you have said you in your post you are keeping busy in the lead up to the surgery.  

If you have any further questions or concerns about your surgery dont hesitate to ask here or touch base with your breast care nurse.  I have added some links below which you may find helpful

Navigating the online community

Breast Care Nurses

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call the BCNA helpline  on 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday to Thursday from 9 am till 6 pm and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST.

Take care of yourself over the next few days, all the best for the 26th

regards Giovanna

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @MsHJW Welcome.  It is just a "going through the motions" time.  All I can say is the general mantra of "one step at a time".  And I also remember saying back in December "it is what it is" - doesn't mean that you don't worry about what it is.  Good luck on 26th.