Financial stress

Options
3boysmum
3boysmum Member Posts: 19
edited July 2018 in Day to day
Hi all....just needed to vent more than anything. I have secured a full time job 3 months ago after basically 12 months off due to BC(worked casually through chemo and radiation). My marriage broke up during this time and I am  starting again with nothing after my ex husband stuffed up royally and basically lost everything (house, shares and savings). I have my boys which is the main thing. They help out but i just can't get back on track financially. Today I get home to a $275.05 pathology account. I know Medicare will cover some but not all. I lost my health care card when i got my full time job. I am busting my backside and getting nowhere. I am looking at a 2nd job....i just don't know what i can do. My mental health is fragile with the fear of cancer coming back (lymph nodes involved).....sorry to complain as i know many are worse off.....i just can't see my life returning to some sort of normal. 

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hey @3boysmum somehow half your first post got lost, isn't it always a perfect shitstorm? I was cheering. A bit inappropriate, as it turns out.

The financial thing is super difficult for people on one income. If you don't earn it, you can't spend it, there is no 'cutting back' or sacrificing a holiday, if there is no money to pay for basics life sucks. It's bloody dire, and I feel for you. As far as anyone else being worse off, that is irrelevant. This is not a competition. If it helps, which it really doesn't, you are not alone. Mxxx
  • 3boysmum
    3boysmum Member Posts: 19
    Options
    All good @Zoffiel......i am still learning how to post!! Thanks lovely ....hope the Bunnings job is yours!!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @melclarity might be able to share some words of wisdom. K xox
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Last year when I finished treatment I had to battle to get the time of
    My boss rearranged all the work duties with my fellow employees 
    I got the short straw and was made redundant.
    Stork
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @nadi has mentioned a couple of places. I know there are others that will pick up the cost of an essential bill but I can"t remember who. Maybe someone else on the forum can help with that.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    SO sorry you are in such distress, @3boysmum  .... when I was having radiation, the Social Welfare Officer arranged a one off 'Utility bill pay' from the Cancer Council - up to $300 - from power, water,rates - which took the pressure off us as we'd just received a 'gap bill' of $500 for my pathology results & I was getting really stressed & upset (on top of other Gaps of $6000+) 

@Nadi's post should be Pinned somewhere I reckon - some excellent information there for everyone to be aware of.

All the best ..... please talk to one of the BCNA or Cancer Australia counsellors if this is really getting to you ... they may be able to help as well xxxx  

• kmakm
    Options
    @Sister I think it was @arpie. R, can you help? 
  • kmakm
    Options
    Ah! @arpie helped the same time as I waa posting! Awesome.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    edited July 2018
    Options
    3boysmum  I am very sorry to hear about the very stressful situation you are experiencing. In addition to the great support and advice provided you may find BCNAs fact sheet helpful with some practical and financial information

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/booklets-and-fact-sheets/#financial

and the moneysmart website https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/ which also has a lot of information to assist you.

Your treatment centre or breast care nurse may also be able to link you with a social worker for advice. Please don't hesitate to contact BCNA on 1800 500 258 to speak to a cancer nurse for further support and access to information resources. 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi 3BOYSMUM it seems that pathology and anthestist accounts are the ones that cost!
    perhaps contact pathology payment group for requesting payment by installment due to finanical hardships
    All the best
    Bright inhope