Treatment calculators

Kagisha
Kagisha Member Posts: 18
Dear all, methinks we all need a bit of empowerment. Here are two sites freely available on the net, you can type your BC details in, age etc, then the system will calculate survival etc in various time frames, with or without chemo. These are not gimmicks. They are used by oncologists, for example my (Associate professor) oncologist used the following and printed out from it on his Iphone so you can do the same!

Another professionally used tool is

Have a look in your own good time and think about what it all means for you and only you!
Cheers, here is to life!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Yes my oncologist used the NHS one and another and discussed it with me at length.
  • Kagisha
    Aggie thanks for the link.
  • Kagisha
    Aggie and kmakm. Thanks for posting, especially for the tufts calculator. I checked it our and I am now more certain that I am going to have the radiotherapy. I don't understand why they try to keep these things "secret" from us. We are not children.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited July 2018
    Be aware that these type of calculators tend to rely heavily on stats related to ductal carcinoma. They may not be reliable for other BC.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Anyone know why is radiation not included on these things?  
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I'm going to have to check out all these sites now
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Honestly, that's really depressing sitting there studying what your chances of living for the next 10 yrs worked out by a computer are. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @kezmusc - I just had a look at one for shi*s and giggles and it pretty much the same as what my onc told me when she was giving me the chemo option. 
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    I don't want to know what my chances of recurrence or survival are and for how long, especially not on a computer screen home alone.
    I haven't even been tempted to look in case I read something disagreeable.
    I certainly haven't asked my oncologist who always goes straight to his laptop for answers - and he hasn't told me.
    I take my medicine every day and try to imagine a life with even half of my energy back again.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Having won the one in eight chance of just getting breast cancer and the 0.26% chance of getting Tinnitus while on Tamoxifen, I don't entertain stat rates at all now.
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    @Brenda5 I had Tinnitus before cancer and it seems to have lessened since that first round of chemo... so many other things now swirling round my head.
    Tinnitus only affected me when I thought about it, which was often. Now it's gone to the back of my head and I've practically forgotten that I had it until I saw your post.
    The mind is indeed a strange place.