Itchy Scalp Any Ideas to stop Scratching.

Options
Jullie
Jullie Member Posts: 6
New here, 2nd cycle A.C. Day 9 , can't sleep my scalp is irritating me , Ever since it's come out in chunks its become irritable. I'm tempted to just scratch it but don't. Any tips. It's cold and I prefer to wear a beanie maybe it's the material?

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Have you still got longish hair - sometimes clipping or shaving it can help the irritation until it all comes out.
  • Jullie
    Options
    Hi Sister,  I clipped it no 2 all over last weekend as hair was just coming out in balls of fluff on my hairbrush and then last couple days it's come out in chunks look like a half plucked chicken so gross to look at and annoying the heck out of me couldn't sleep. I think it's my beanie, just exposing it just now it has settled down but so cold. Ill try going over it with no 1. Also Is there any particular material to avoid on bald scalp or anything to help sensitive scalp? Thanks for your reply.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Hi there @Jullie ...as a decades long knitter of baby wear, and more recently for myself for beanies, my advice is keep away from wool and stick to either a very soft bamboo or better still a soft baby acrylic beanie. If you hold something knitted against the skin under your chin and against your neck and it feels soft, then your scalp should be okay too. Feeling the texture with your fingers is no good as the skin there is much thicker. Remember, since babyhood, your scalp has been protected from the world and now it is bare and very sensitive, much like a newborn. Sending a big hug (((hug))).
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Jullie. Sorry to see you here but welcome. The itching drove me nuts when my hair was falling out. If you're anything like me it's going to be sore, irritated and highly sensitive no matter what you do. So I don't think it's the fabric of your beanie, unless it's wool, which often irritates! I did gently scrstch my scalp, and nothing bad happened.

I wore a caps & hats and found bamboo to be the most comfortable on my bare scalp.

When my hair started growing back it was very itchy again, and I got cradle cap. I find a baby shampoo that mentions cradle cap to be very soothing. I'm using a natural ultra gentle one, Gaia is the brand, that I got in Coles.

The good news is that now your hair is coming out the irritation will begin to ease. My freshly exposed skin was dry and flaky for a bit and I found Moo Goo helped keep it moisturised and soothed.

Good luck with your treatment. K xox
  • Jullie
    Options
    Thank you so much  for your responses,  I really appreciate your help. Only upward and onward from here, but not really feeling it atm. Love that You ladies understand how I feel. Big hugs to you all! :-)
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi there @Jullie - I’m on day 5 after my 3rd AC - and I remember that itching! 
    I don’t have anything to add to the great advice in the comments above just wanted to say ‘welcome’, and yep, this is a community where we definitely do understand how you feel. 
    No matter what time of day or night, there’s always someone on here who has walked, or is walking in similar shoes, to lend an ear or offer support. It’s been a life saver for me :smile:

All the best with your treatment xxxx

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Shave it, @jullie

No one tells you that losing your hair can feel like someone is pulling it out be the roots. It takes a while to figure out how to navigate the back of your noggin with a Bic razor (and you will need to have a couple the first time) but there is one pretty amazing upside. The first shower you have with a totally bald head will stick in your memory for ever. It is the most delicious feeling.

It's also really interesting to get a handle on all the weirdo hair patterns going on up there ( and down there TBH) All those bad hair days can be explained away once you see how yours grows, funny little whorls and unexpected cow licks. Anyway, I've done this a couple of times, and no-one wants to be here, but set yourself up for that first shower. It's a buzz. Marg xx