looking for sydney doctor for breast reconstruction

Options
Julia44
Julia44 Member Posts: 361
edited December 2011 in General discussion

Hi Sydney ladies,

I have been told that I should have my radiotherapy first then wait a bit(cant remember how long they said)before having reconstruction.

I am aware that having radio first, there are certain methods that will be not be able to be used for me. My radiotherapy finishes around Christmas time.  I am wondering if I should be seeing someone soon any how if there are likely to be waiting times.

Wondering if there are ladies who have gone through this already who can recommend surgeons to see about this.  I live in the inner west, near RPAH.

Thanks, Julia

Comments

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Julia

This is Kathy from BCNA's Policy Team.

I'm not sure if you are having your breast cancer treatment in the public or the private health system. If you are a public patient, there will almost certainly be a waiting time for breast reconstruction surgery, so you might like to get your name on the waiting list as soon as you can. Your breast care nurse, if you have one, can help you with this. Otherwise you could talk to your breast surgeon or GP and ask to be referred to a reconstructive surgeon who works in the public hospital system.

If you are a private patient, you can choose your plastic surgeon and the hospital you would like to have your surgery in. Be aware that many plastic surgeons charge more than the schedule fee for plastic surgery, sometimes much more, so  you might like to ask for written quotes up front. You can negotiate with the surgeon if their fees are too high, or you can shop around for another surgeon who will charge you less. You might also like to contact your private health insurance company to ask them if they have any 'gap cover' arrangements with plastic surgeons in your area.

Issue 53 of The Beacon looked at issues around breast reconstruction. You might like to have a look at it if you haven't seen it already.

All the best with your decision making. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Kathy

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you, Kathy