Income insurance denied

Options
Jen79x
Jen79x Member Posts: 125
apparentely I’m not sick enough to meet the criteria- can you believe it!

has anyone else had this? During diagnosis and also chemo (ac, now taxol carboplatin) I have continued to work - I took initial tine off during the diagnosis and a few “omg” in shock days but after that I have mainly taken treatment days off and a few here extras when feeling bad. I worked because I thought it was a good thing for - keeps me busy etc. but I was hoping that I could cover all the unpaid leave with my income protection but they have just finally come back to me and says no - I can’t believe it.

its like a slap in the face for trying to do the right thing.
to qualify I would have had to only return to work for a max of 10 days during the first 60  days. 
So annoyed !

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    @Jen79x who is your Income Protection with? I'm with Vic Super the education one, in 2015 I started chemo in August but by September I wasn't able to work, so I was off 4th term of school. Thing is I didn't find this until like January of 2016 so they had a 90 day waiting period which I had served from september and then got back paid. Anyway I was on it for 2 years and have just finished this month, so I only went back to work 3 days as I worked in an Autism Specific School and was physically and mentally demanding. 

Ok so you are on chemo still??? that stipulation seems ridiculous to me, as what if like me you had to stop working 3/4 the way through?? you are still deemed unfit to work and your Oncologist would be able to do the paperwork for that. So how long do you have left?? ive not heard of that before, you should be able to apply at any stage you are on treatment, though Id imagine until all leave is paid they take it from there and you serve a waiting period.

Hmmm 

Melinda x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there @Jen79x They are aresholes hey. I wrote a post about the shit I’ve been through with mine too if you look through my posts. But that is bullshit Maybe speak to your ombudsman or local member about it too. You can’t get a cent from anywhere  unless you are on a Centrelink benefit for a minimum of 26 weeks and who the fuck can afford to live off that. And You pay all that money into your super or income protection and cant bloody use it when you need it and do the right thing. Yet the government wastes billions of dollars every year on people who are overpaid or on a benefit when they don’t need to be I’ve written and spoken to my local member of parliament and written to whoever will listen but nothing is ever done to change it. Margie x
  • melclarity
    Options
    Hey @Joannie

Thats interesting about still getting LSL mine kicks in next week LOL so I didn't use it and also in 2 years on income protection I have taken zero sick leave, Ive accumulated it all. Yes like you I only received 75% of my wage which was horrendous as I worked 3 days and was taxed like the added income was a 2nd job!!!! AND they take super out of their premium as well. So I ended up having to support myself with my savings which was very difficult, its cost me about $30,000 of my own savings to stay afloat. I'm now going back into full time work next week at a new School, so hoping financially I can pick up again. x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    I owe the tax department $1,285!!! because the initial income protection payment they didnt tax!!! and then they taxed double, honestly bit of a nightmare. I agree stupid taking super out of your premium, really?? dumb!! we need it now! 

I've gone into mainstream now, I'm an Education Support but really looking forward to a different environment where I can utilize my 7yrs behaviour management skills in Autism. 

All the best to you too @Joannie

@Jen79x I agree, something doesnt seem right at all and I like what @onemargie said about the ombudsman. I do that all the time lately LOL. 

x Melinda
  • Jen79x
    Options
    @melclarity I’m with rest insurance - they say it’s just because I haven’t taken enough time off - to comply during the 60 day waiting period I need to have 7 of 12 consecutive days off Work and then also to have returned to Work no more than 10 days for the rest of the waiting period.

It’s rubbish - I could stop working now but the 60 days would start again and then I assume I meet the criteria.

I wanted to keep working though as I love my job and I find it a really good distraction.

ive already completed 4 ac chemo and today I had my 9th taxol (if 12) next is radiation and surgery ...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2018
    Options
  • melclarity
    Options
    @Jen79x Oh yes Ive heard of Rest insurance. What I want to know is having said all that, what happens if at this point you stop working or once you start radiation it catches up and you need a break? I agree thats absolute rubbish! 

I worked through my 1st diagnosis for so many reasons, but my 2nd diagnosis in 2015 I was so ill honestly and I realized it didnt matter, for me work comes 2nd to life now, yes I need it LOL as was a single parent and enjoy what i do but I had to put me above everything. Everyone is different and you should be allowed to choose without any penalties! 

Id take it up with the Ombudsman, I really would. x
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there just curious  @joannie how does your hol pay accumulate if your not working ?  Margie x
  • melclarity
    Options
    @onemargie Im pretty sure you dont accumulate any leave at all, I took Leave without pay for 3 months for surgery and I didnt accrue any leave in that time. However my income protection still paid the 75% of the pre illness wage, thats how they determine it. I also never took sick leave in 2 years on it as they picked up the sick leave so I worked 3 days a week for 2years and accumulated all my sick leave which was great. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Jen79x
    Options
    @onemargie love your description ! Arsoles - You would think that they would appreciate that I’m working part time (at least till now)

@melclarity she indicated that if I get too sick to work now that they will just start the waiting period again but how do I know that they won’t find some other reason!

im only covered for about 50% of my pre income so financially (I’m only 38 and just bought a house less than a year ago) we are better if I can work.

i at least will need about 8 weeks off (I’m assuming) fir surgery as double mastectomy and diep reconstruction in one operation.

hmm all these insurance people are awful 
  • melclarity
    Options
    It isn't fair and yes I agree I was better off working too, but it was impossible and I had 2 teenage kids as well oh boy!! but for me it was the best thing I could have done, I was 43 at 1st diagnosis and 47 at the 2nd. It was so damn hard and I churned up most of my settlement money which was and is still cruel. 

I had 3 months off with my mastectomy/diep flap recon only as my job was too physically demanding and my Surgeon didnt want me getting hurt. its doable in 8 depending.

I do think they would start the waiting period again once you stopped working, so really is up to you, but make sure you put you first as thats all that matters I found through it all. 

x
  • Jen79x
    Options
    More decisions to make !! Thank you for your help and advice though ! 

It just adds issues when we have to deal with all the financial things on top of everything else.

xx