My first blog

Options
Shaz66
Shaz66 Member Posts: 21
edited October 2010 in General discussion

Okay, have posted a few comments but here's my first blog.

I have lived with bc for nearly 8 yrs, secondary for 5.  Tablets, injections, medications have been a major part of my life for a long time now.  Natural treatment is big on my list too.  Haven't changed much else, prob push too hard but can't waste a minute anymore.  Used to be a 'mentor' for locals with bc, no more, secondaries are scary, they don't wanna know ya, it's okay, I understand, if I only had  primaries I'd scare the hell outta me too :-)  Although, fit and healthy most of the time, just a continuous stream of chemos etc.  Happy to hit the 'b' hard whilst I am strong.

I have very curly hair, 2nd to last chemo made it go straight, then it went really curly again, this chemo I am supposed to lose hair, using Icecaps....it's going straight again!!!!!!  Who needs a hairdresser????  No sickness with this chemo, just strange things, think I have it under control now though...........no doubt when I do the treatment will change again :-)

I take every day as it comes, feel crook I rest, feel good I go like crazy, feel low I find my own little spot or a good friend. 

What a crazy life this gives us, what did we ever do before bc?  But aren't we lucky to be able to still be fighting it?  Yeah, we're unlucky too but I can look at it like this 'I am adopted into a fantastic family, I've already had a second chance"

This may sound like a positive blog........don't worry there will be downer ones :-) 

But for now the chin is up, life is good..........chemo tomorrow but going with a good friend.....coffee, shopping, laughs.

Stay strong everyone, we aren't alone.

Shaz

Comments

• Amanda_BCNA
    Amanda_BCNA Staff Posts: 19
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Shaz,

I just read your first blog and you've reminded me about what I really love about my job at BCNA - being able to hear the real stories from women affected by the disease. In my role as Community Programs Manager I feel fortunate to get to develop relationships with women who are keen to want to do more to raise awareness of the impact of of breast cancer and help spread the word about BCNA and how we support women and families.

I also thought you may like to know about the online group for women with secondary/advanced breast cancer. One of our BCNA Community Liaisons with secondaries started the group - another place for you to connect with other women who understand the ups and downs of this journey. To find the group 'Women Living with Advanced Breast Cancer' click 'Find Groups' and type 'advanced'.

Its amazing how these blogs can reach other women out there who may be feeling like they're the only one feeling like this. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
  • Shaz66
    Shaz66 Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yay, here I am at the end of my second four week chemo cycle. I can now think clearly, I don't look like elephant woman, I can sleep and food is tasting better. I'm not complaining, it's a lot better than spewing day after day but what strange things the steriods & chemo does to us. I'm guessing it's fluid retention causing all these strange things but even my doc hasn't confirmed that. The first time I took a steroid and couldn't sleep I was rather distressed because I had to drive 130kms the next day to my treatment on no sleep but...........I was rocking the next day! What is this drug??? The next night I decided not to waste another moment counting sheep and got heaps of 'fun' stuff done. Digital scrapbooking till the eyes can't take it anymore!!!!! Then maybe I will do some housework. How funny is it when you email a friend at 4-30am in the morning, what a response I got :-) Never in my life have I missed out on important sleep and not had to pay for it days later, craziest drug, why would people take it voluntarily? I love my food and everything tastes like chicken broth.......everything........we had the hottest snags the other night, I had no idea what I was feeding everyone, they tasted pretty good to me but when the water tank was just about drained and the faces around me were burning I knew i had discovered a very hot spicy sausage :-) needless to say I finished my meal whilst all around me struggled a lot.
    But, now I get 2 weeks off and hopefully the face won't sag too much before it goes back into shape and food will start to taste better and I will enjoy the bubbles in a drink again and I won't have my 'precious moments' on Saturdays and Sundays like I seem to get (lucky the family are familiar with these times now) but again.....I am thankful that I can still function day to day normally and am not laying at home having to rest because I am feeling sick and tired.
    And.......I still have my hair!!!!! On my head. The icecaps are working!!!!!!