Prosthesis give away

Options
Custard
Custard Member Posts: 417
edited December 2011 in General discussion

Does anyone know if and where good external  second hand breast prostheses can be donated? So many women have them stored away in cupboards and wardrobes and they MUST be of use to ladies elsewhere? The bras also- Berlei take them through Myer and specialty lingerie shops to send to 3rd world countries, but to send with the prostheses would be terrific.

I am really hoping someone can assist!

Comments

• FranP
    FranP Member Posts: 396
    edited March 2015
    Options

try your local breast care nurses, they may have contacts       or know some one that is struggling and needs one,

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

My mother-in-law is with veterans affairs so gets a new one quite often.  She gave me her old one to take into Cancer Council.  I ended up throwing it in the bin as the Cancer Council doesn't have a need for them.  Not sure what avenue to send you too.  What about Breastscreen?  I know they were collecting old bras to send to New Guinea (if you wear a bra you are important and it stops a lot of rapes)  Good luck XLeonie

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Leonei. I reckon somewhere in this crazy world there are women who would benefit from them!

I hope you are pleased with your gorgeous photos- you look wonderfully glam! It was so nice to see the girls again, we have to plan something for next year. xx

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Fran, but here in Tassie we are very lucky in that the Govt. assist with the purchase of them. Surely there is an organisation somewhere than can use them to enhance ladies' lives! Mandy

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

We should keep this going - meeting up each year.  Maybe we should consider sunshine if we stick to August.  I seem to catch too many bugs in August when I go to the cold. Somethng for us all to think about - maybe we could even include the men. XLeonie

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, it'd be good for the blokes as well. Keep thinking! xx

• imelda sarmiento
    imelda sarmiento Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mandy.. My name is Imelda I live in Mt Druitt NSW Australia. I was diagnosed last year of breast cancer ( my second year in Australia), had bilatereral mastectomy and was treated here. I interested of owning a second hand breast prothesis, that will be a great help for me, since i can't afford buying them now, (i heard that it will be subsidized by the gov't if i have my medicare but sadly, we are still waiting for our application for permanency and have it as soon as we saved money) I will appreciate any reply that you may have. Have a nice day! Thank you for sharing this :-)

• imelda sarmiento
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi mandy..I am also interested with the bras. I have only one post surgery bra, sent me by BCNA ( Thank you BCNA!) during my diagnosis last year and the rest it were all ordinary bras, and it was really hard  wearing them esp I had bilateral mastectomy.( I;m not complaining at least i have something to cover my chest) but it will be good if I own a good one esp in my case. Thank you Mandy..sorry I got so excited  with your posting :-) Hope to hear form you soon :-)

• Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Imelda

I am very pleased you replied- sorry for the delay but I have been away on holiday.

What size are you? I know of a few ladies who have the bras ready to give away. Maybe if you send me your email address as well as your home adress, then I can hand it on to Jude Maslin, the lady here who is co-ordinating. 

Maybe you know fo other ladies from your homeland region who could benefit too.

Take care

Mandy

• imelda sarmiento
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your reply...Thank you for helping me out :-) Here are my details :

Imelda P. Sarmiento

30A Derwent St

Mt. Druitt 2770

NSW Australia

email address :    medsnini@****

My Bra Size : 38B or 12B or 14B...

Thank you Mandy :-) Hope to hear from you again :-)

• imelda sarmiento
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your reply...Thank you for helping me out :-) Here are my details :

Imelda P. Sarmiento

30A Derwent St

Mt. Druitt 2770

NSW Australia

email address :    medsnini@****

My Bra Size : 38B or 12B or 14B...

Thank you Mandy :-) Hope to hear from you again :-)

• imelda sarmiento
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi mandy... sorry for this... I just checked my free bra from Berlei is 12C...it's kinda big for me though (cup size is big  only, the width was ok), I'm assuming it's their smallest, because I remember I requested 12B. ..Hope you can help me find a right size for me, even it's not my exact size, I do appreciate it so much, if i can have a prosthesis, esp for these season :-) Thank you so much again :-)

happy sunday!

imelda

• imelda sarmiento
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi mandy... sorry for this... I just checked my free bra from Berlei is 12C...it's kinda big for me though (cup size is big  only, the width was ok), I'm assuming it's their smallest, because I remember I requested 12B. ..Hope you can help me find a right size for me, even it's not my exact size, I do appreciate it so much, if i can have a prosthesis, esp for these season :-) Thank you so much again :-)

happy sunday!

imelda

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Imelda, I'm from Sydney, and in about 3 weeks I won't be needing my B cup silicone prosthesis as I'm about to to have another mastectomy and start the reconstruction process. I wear a 14B or 16B bra size, and was wondering what to do with my 6 month old prosthesis. It is a right side prosthesis. If you add me as a contact I will let you know when I no longer need it.
    Chris
  • Custard
    edited March 2015
    Options

Are there any more out there so we can set up a network for unused bras and prosthesis??