Mouth Ulcers

JoeyLiz
JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
Day 8 of second cycle of AC and I now have tiny little white ulcers around my mouth.

any suggestions on how to deal with them?

thanks

Comments

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    @JoeyLiz I never got ulcers but my oncol told me to salt water gargle if they appeared. If unable to tollerate salt water taste because of nausea then a super mild alcohol-free mouthwash is okay.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I believe bicarbonate of soda in water may also be used, although I too used salt water. My oncology nurse advised that while 4 times a day was great, most people couldn't keep that up and so it was better to do it twice a day religiously. Worked for me. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    edited November 2017
    Hey @JoeyLiz with the mouth ulcers make sure you rinse your mouth morning and night with salt water I found worked well. If they get really bad at the Chemist you can buy a cortisone ointment called Kennalog, it's a paste so you pop it on at night when you go to bed, within 48hrs you'll notice a big difference. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Hi @JoeyLiz I think salt water works really well. My oncologist told me to avoid hot drinks an hour before and an hour after chemo. I sipped on iced water with ice cubes and fresh lemon during chemo as well. 

I did these things and avoided ulcers. I also used a sensitive toothpaste which made a difference. I also avoided onion, chilli etc, but I think chemo makes you want to avoid those things anyway. All the best. x
  • JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Thanks ladies will start on the salt water
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Bicarb was what was recommended to me.  Slightly less salty taste.  I used it three times a day and never got one mouth ulcer or any gum problems. 
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Hi, I used a product that is made at the pharmacy of the Womens and Childrens Hospital in Adelaide, however I am sure that you would be able to buy similar, it is for babies/toddlers gums, it has lignocaine in it and for me was brilliant, also used kennalog paste as well, as a last resort Gelclair is a product that comes in sachet form from the chemist, the oncology nurses gave me several sachets and that worked a treat too, however I think it is quite expensive, so try the natural remedies first and see how you go if you find it had to eat, cooked brown rice is really easy to eat, my Mcgrath nurse told me this and yes it does work, 
    wendy55 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I was given a mouth wash by the chemo pharmasist which was slightly minty flavoured bicarbonate type, it was a commercial one, so you should be able to buy it if you can't stomach the bicarbonate and water mix. I rinsed four times a day religiously with the bicarbonate and water mix, and only ever got one bad ulcer. Kennelog at night fixed that quickly, I used Medigel during the day, Kennelog is too thick for daytime use. The FEC affected my gums badly, made them very rough, like a cats tongue, and receded from my teeth, which is why I was so worried about using the mouthwash so often.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I only used bicarb. I used to swallow a bit too as it helped with my upset tummy.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited November 2017
    I used bicarb. The pharmacy might have another one if become very painful. I hope you were given information from your chemo unit about this as it is standard care. Mine gave me the recipe of how much to use etc. I know our unit had other mouthwash for when got really bad. It is similar to Amosan mouth wash (which isn't made anymore) your chemist would know. It's a powder that you add to water and used following dental surgery. 

Ensure your dental hygiene is scrupulous. (It may well be ....it just happens) But be gentle.  Kath x.
  • jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38
    I also used bicarb as well.