Radiation Appointment

lgray3911
lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
Hi Ladies so I had my app with radiation oncologist yesterday who talked me through my treatment plan. Tomorrow I have an app at the radiation clinic with the staff there. Was just wondering what happens at this appointment? Thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

You will probably have a CT scan. They will put a couple of tiny tattoo dots on you, where they will be depends on the area they are treating. That scan is for mapping, it's not diagnostic so you don't have any contrast in (no needles)

Try to make yourself as comfortable as possible before the scan -they will accommodate you having a bit of a wriggle around to set yourself up--being mindful that the position you are in during that CT is the one you will be in for the rest of your treatment.

If, for example, you have real trouble lying with your arms above your head (which seems to be the default position for BC treatment) ask if another position is an option. It turned out that I could have my arms down. Thank &%@# for that.

Good luck, Marg x

• steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Hi Igray3911  From memory I met with the clinic nurses then a radiotherapist and this was follwed by a ct scan of my chest and working out positioning for treatment.I was also tatooed with some dots to ensure they could line me up correctly for each treatment. I also was placed on a bag which shaped my head neck shoulders and arm placement. I asked lots of questions and was referred back to the rad onc  I didnt want the treatment and they had to work a bit harder with me to bring me round so to speak  I had 3 week hyper fractionated treatment. I used "moo goo" udder cream straight after treatment and morning each day. I have had no side effects at all including no skin reactions or fatigue I am now post treatment about 6 weeks   I am thankful for this.  Hope all goes well Sorry if this is info overload
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Thanks ladies that all sounds good to me xx
  • Fiona2
    Fiona2 Member Posts: 69
    You might want to ask about the Mepitel dressing.  It is a protective, silicon based film that looks a bit like glad wrap and is applied to the skin area for the treatment duration.  I had it for the six weeks of my treatment and had no skin burning or reactions whatsoever.  The staff were all very impressed by this as they had not had much experience with it but continually commented on how good my skin was, particularly towards the end of treatment.
  • Janny54
    Janny54 Member Posts: 89

Hi Ladies

I had my appointment yesterday with the Rads people lovely there all are. The nurse suggested that I use the Meptal dressing and put a patch on me to check that I don't have a reaction. All good this morning. So I will be going with that. Glad to hear it was good for you Fiona2.

I also have to do the holding your breath thing. Which scares the sh&t out of me. The put like a snorkel in your mouth and you take a deep breath and they count down for 30 seconds. By the time they got to 5 I was panicking so they made some adjustments and I only have to do it for 25 now. My arms ache this morning thanks to having them behind my head for 1/2 hour while they did all the measurements but I am sure later in the day they will feel better.

Just this last bit to go is what I keep telling myself.

Happy Friday Ladies

xx 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Good luck with it!  Hopefully the aching arms are more about the tension you felt and that they will soon recoup back to their normal feeling!  Take care x
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Good luck xxxoo 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    igray3911
    Before the measurements etc, I had an appointment with the head Nurse in the clinic, she explained what would be done, my appointments for radiation, how my schedule would be given to me, the facilities in the clinic, what to expect with my skin and how it would be treated and gave me a folder with information. I then had to change into a gown and went into the first room with a technician, had some measurements done and lay on a bean bag thing while she got me into the position required for my treatment.
    This required my arms to be above my head holding onto a sort of handle she made in the beanbag. As I was only two weeks post mastectomy, this was not comfortable, but I had taken some Panadol prior as recommended by the Radiation Oncologist, so it could have been worse.
    Once she was happy that I was in the right position, she sucked all the air out of the beanbag, molding it around me as the air came out. This was now mine for the duration of treatment.
    Once that was done I got dressed again as they use PRP next door for the CT scans.
    I got changed again into a gown and I went into the CT scan room for a CT scan, on the CT table, on my beanbag and in the position I was to be in for radiation. 
    This took quite some time as two technicians did a lot of measurements, and marked up my skin all over my chest. My shoulder was not comfortable.
    Once the markings were done I was taken back and forth into the CT machine a few times.
    My machine was a tunnel type with a smallish opening.
    I should have taken tranquillisers before my appointment. I am claustrophobic.
    The tranquillisers may have helped my shoulder pain too.

Once they were happy with the measurements I was given four tiny tattoos.
    They were done with a little drawing pin type things dipped in an ink type stuff.
    They stung a bit, but only briefly.

I then was finished, got dressed and waited for the technician. She told me I would be contacted busy phone by the planning department with my initial appointment day and from there I would get my first fortnight schedule.
    She asked did I have a preferred time of day and a few other questions, and I was free to go home.
    It took approx one and three quarter hours.
    I was with a private Radiation Clinic so I also had a discussion with the manager about payment and the schedule of billing.
    It may be a different experience at a public hospital Radiation clinic.

I found everyone very supportive, concerned for my comfort and emotional state and as helpful as they could be while doing what they had to do.

I hope you have a good experience with it, it is rather confronting,
    Jennie