Bone Scans - What they're like

Options
Kombigirl
Kombigirl Member Posts: 47
I wanted to share my experience with bone scans for new members
1. You get to stay clothed through the procedure.
2. Don't wear any metal or jewellery.
3. The needle with the tracer (radioactive material) is very fine and only stings a little.
4. You have very quick scan ( on a very narrow table ) then sent away for at least a couple of hours. In this time do what you would normally do.
5. Upon your return you will once again lay on the narrow table and need to lay still for a couple of periods of 15 minutes or so while the machine does it's photographing around you.
6. If you aren't comfortable let the technician know, they will accommodate you.
TIPS
Stay hydrated and empty your bladder before the second part of the procedure.
I found this procedure very unstressful and am happy for others to add their own experiences.
Cheers Ange

Comments

• Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    What great tips Ange and so helpful to eae anxiety for anyone who hasn't had a bone scan before.
    Rosie 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Yes when I had a whole body scan they also did the bottom of my feet. It's more about the time needed than anything else 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    I find them boring lol.
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    What I didn't anticipate and really caused me problems was that you have to have your arms above your head for quite a long time.
    I have problems with my shoulders and was in a great deal of pain for much of the scan.
    Had I known, I should have gone to the chiropractor , done lots of stretching exercises and taken pain killers before the scan.
    If you are claustrophobic, check if you can see the machine.
    I have had many CT scans in the last few months at many different venues and there is such a difference in the machines. Some are short donut type ones, with big openings, others are long and have small openings, some are in between.
    I can now handle the short donuts without sedatives, but cannot do the long ones without quite some preparation. If you have an issue, either see if you can look at the machine or dose up just in case.
    I have found various PRP very helpful in allowing me to look at machines before scans.
    Now that I know the questions to ask.
    So much learnt over the last year.
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I got vertigo from my bone scans. Have read its worthwhile to take an anthistamine before them and MRI 's if the table moving causes vertigo.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Hi there I've never had to have one ??? I had TNBC no lymph node involvement last year 8 rounds of chemo had ct chest abdo pelvis (all clear) and then a repeat chest 6 months later then another one just recently. All clear I've had 2 echos which were all fine too so now just yearly for those but my oncol has never suggested a bone scan?? I had some osteo type symptoms for about 8 months post but hardly get any now and rarely take panadol osteo and take a daily vit d but that's it. I've read about a few of you guys on here having to have one. Is it something I should bring Ng up with the oncol next month ??? Margie xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    That's odd, @unicornkisses I've never had to have my arms above my head. The set up here actually has little straps that you can hold onto next to your hips to help keep your arms and shoulders still. Anyway, for me it's meh, just another bit of time lying down watching the ceiling tiles--which rarely do anything interesting.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I had a bad reaction one month to Zoladex where I was crippled with pain and couldn't walk; hence the full body scan to see what was going on!  I found time is needed for the scan and the time went quickly and I was fortunate enough to have a chatty radiographer, combined with the fact that I can talk a leg off a chair, time went quick!   Prior to this I had had a bone density scan and my readings are excellent!  Thank goodness!  
    Perhaps ask you GP next visit or Onc - whichever comes first!
  • lezanne75
    lezanne75 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    My arms were also in a little strap thing to hold them by my sides to keep my arms still, they did put a towel between my feet and taped them together to keep them still.  Was a little unnerving when the top plate dropped down close to my face but the nurse was incredibly reassuring.  I just closed my eyes and relaxed for the 15 mins it lasted for, agree @Zoffiel that I don't usually get the opportunity for that!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I had the sort lezanne75 had but the nurse didn't stay with me, she went up and down the hall outside the room chatting with her mates. My scan was 40 minutes and I was absolutely terrified with my arm and legs tied and the machine almost touching my nose. When it was over she expected me to stand up straight away and leave the room. Dream on, after being completely still for all that time I was as stiff as a board. She thought she'd help and pulled my arm to help me to stand up. That pulled a muscle in the back of my shoulder that pained for about 3 weeks after. 
  • nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Options
    I had a bone scan just after my diagnosis mammogram and ultrasound along with a brain ct scan, abdo and pelvic ct scans. Arms also were above my head. I have a meniscus tear in my shoulder so I organised to have a cortisone injection in that shoulder a few days prior to try and reduce the pain. This helped thank goodness. 
  • Kombigirl
    Kombigirl Member Posts: 47
    Options
    My arms were also in a strap but I found it easier than trying to keep my hands clasped together. Also had to put my arms up but I had a pillow to rest them on. I had to keep my eyes closed so I didn't get claustrophobic. I just let my mind drift to other things.
  • Aussiegirl19
    Aussiegirl19 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Those are great tips from @Kombigirl

With regards to avoiding metal on your clothes really check carefully over what you plan to wear as I didn’t realise the tiny metal studs (less than a five cent piece) on the sides of my jeans would be a problem so had to wear a gown instead. Was oK but just made things a little colder.

I also had to put my arms above my head like @Unicornkisses

That was during a PET scan and it was uncomfortable because that test was much longer than other things I had but I made it through like we all do.
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Options
    Well I have had 10 bone scans at the last count as I have numerous bone mets. I seem to cope better with each one, as I guess I know what to expect. They do put my arms in a type of support sling so as to keep them still and comfortable.  When they are checking the ribs , I have had to put my hands above my head and it is very uncomfortable especially if you have mets in the shoulder region. I dont get claustrophobic,  I just shut my eyes and relax pretending I lying some where enjoyable, ( like at the beach ) lol. I find I dont get as anxious now. I think I would rather have a scan and know whats going on and if there are new mets. I can get on with treatment .
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I am such a chicken, I didn't think I could stay there with that slab just above my nose!!  I got knocked out for the duration.  My hands were by my side lightly strapped in.