Travel Insurance

Options
Debrak
Debrak Member Posts: 12
Hi all I am hoping to travel to NZ this year and USA next year I am clear of breast cancer but it has moved to my collar bone starting radiation for that next week. Does anyone know a good travel insurance company that will cover me for existing illness 

Comments

• Amazonia
    Amazonia Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Deb,
    i have heard on this forum that Covermore is widely used with success and also CGU.
    I'm  planning to travel overseas, the day after I've completed Herceptin (woo hoo) in December but yet to research these. My not for profit health fund also offers travel insurance now so will be investigating that too.
    Hope this helps and best of luck with your rads and trips.
    A.
  • Debrak
    Options
    funny I tried Covermore and it came up a no but I will try CCU thanks
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    Options
    I have tried them all & they all come up with a resounding NO for mbc. However they will cover you for anything not assocoated with the cancer.

There are a couple of obscure companies that will cover at ridiculous costs of around $2500- $3000
  • Debrak
    Options
    it is not sounding good 
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Try alliance l have a rare blood cancer and they covered me.
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Sorry l also meant to add dont apply online ring them direct
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi All, I just wanted to jump in and add that BCNA have some resources available on Travel Insurance and Breast Cancer that might be of interest, to have a look you can visit www.bcna.org.au/resources/booklets-and-fact-sheets/#travelinsurance
  • Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    Options
    ring direct or go see them. I dont have mbc but i did find all the online quotes i got initially were well over $1000 because of the breast cancer. However when i went into an racv branch to get my international drivers licence they asked me about insurance and i got a quote that was less than half the online quote and covered both of us.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Ive used Covermore alot but I think you are all right in that, they won't cover if Cancer is current, I think you have to be at least 6 months clear. x
  • Sevenbe
    Sevenbe Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I was just about to ask this question. Thanks everyone, these are some great tips.
  • Debrak
    Options
    So it seems I can't get cover because my cancer spread within 5 years of the original diagnosis??? has anyone had this issue?
  • Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi Debra - my metastatic diagnosis was 11 years after my original diagnosis, and I'm also unable to get get cover. It is very frustrating.
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm having trouble with insurance for my 15 day trip to japan later in the year. I'm trying to work out what the impact of this really is? If my bc comes back while I'm in japan what would happen. How sick might I get. I have no experience with this . I was thinking if I got sick due to bc  in japan I would get on an early flight and fly home for more treatment. Does anyone have experience of becoming unwell due to bc whilst overseas?  That they are able to share?  The insurer will cover me for all other health issues. 
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    @Cyclo I have traveled quite a bit since completing my breast cancer treatment 3 years ago and each time I have had insurance for everything EXCEPT my cancer.
    It has changed the way I book my trips as I now try to pay small deposits (that I am willing to lose) or else I book things that I can cancel and get a refund. I haven't done a really long trip (previously I have traveled for 10 to 12 weeks at a time) and my longest trip post BC has been 18 days. I get to a month or so before my trip (visit my doctor or have scans if they're due) and then decide I'm definitely going and then I pay for everything and I just go. I figure if something happens while I'm away I will either wait until I return or I will fly home.
    Realistically a recurrence does not typically make you sick right away - the main risk is the possible delay in treatment. Think back to when you were initially diagnosed - you probably felt fine and were going about your normal life until the diagnosis hit you. 
    One thing I did clarify with my insurance is that I would be covered for DVT - as I was on Tamoxifen initially (which increases the risk of DVT) I didn't want them to say it was linked to my BC and therefore not covered. I received confirmation (in writing) that as I did not have DVT currently I would be covered even though I was at higher risk.
    Next February I am traveling to South America and Antarctica!!!!! For this trip (which will be over a month) I had to get insurance that would cover my breast cancer. It was ridiculously expensive (but if you're going to Antarctica EVERYTHING is expensive!) At the time of booking I was 2 years since completing my treatment. I needed pathology and oncologist reports as they wanted stage and grade and wait to see if I would be covered.  
    Good luck and enjoy your trip to Japan - I just got back a few weeks ago and it was brilliant!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Cyclo Im just wondering, its only for just over 2 weeks? have you finished treatment? I just imagine that even if there were a remote chance whilst you were away, it wouldnt impact your holiday, and you wouldnt know if that happened. To me its more the side effects that come from treatment that would cause an issue...as long as nothing as HarleyB says, relates back to the BC its fine. Ive had heaps of trips also, used covermore, no problems at all, last trip I was away for 3 weeks. I say have your checkup if youre all clear to go, go :) x Melinda