Hello - here I am

anne4weeks
anne4weeks Member Posts: 18
edited August 2011 in General discussion

My name is Anne, I am 51 and yesterday (Fri) I received my diagnosis. Seeing a surgeon next Wed so not too long to wait. I think I have 'early' breast cancer so am hoping and praying that surgery will remove it.

I have lots of support from my church, Australian Breastfeeding Association, and friends, but am looking forward to sharing with those of you who have taken this journey before me.

Comments

• w_w_w_dette
    w_w_w_dette Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2015

Welcome to an amazing network of "pink sisters" Anne. Although it may be a club one might prefer not to join, once the diagnosis is made it is one of  tremendous support and information sharing, as well as a good palce to vent, think aloud or just read!

It is great that you don't have to wait too long to see the surgeon and if I can, I suggest your continuously make notes, write down questions, what ifs, etc to take with you to that appointment. No question for the medical team or on here is a silly question.

The My Journey Kit is absolutely fantastic and so if you haven't done so already, order it as soon as you can.

I wish you all the best as you work your way towards a treatment plan.

Lots of hugs, Dette. xx

• pacwood
    pacwood Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne.

Welcome. I agree with what the others girls have already said. There is so much support here and the My Journey Kit was a great resource to recieve. Good luck with the surgeon, hopefully you have a treatment plan underway soon.

xoxo Christie.

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne, and welcome to the site! :)  Great to hear you have a lot of support, but feel free to ask here if you have any questions -- there's nearly always someone around who can answer.

If you haven't found it yet, the Help page is a good place to start if you want to find out more about how the site works.  Plus I thought I'd give you a link to the My Journey Kit that the others have mentioned (which you can order from this site).

Just ask if you need a hand finding your way around.

~Di

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne, and welcome to the site! :)  Great to hear you have a lot of support, but feel free to ask here if you have any questions -- there's nearly always someone around who can answer.

If you haven't found it yet, the Help page is a good place to start if you want to find out more about how the site works.  Plus I thought I'd give you a link to the My Journey Kit that the others have mentioned (which you can order from this site).

Just ask if you need a hand finding your way around.

~Di

• jojo71
    jojo71 Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne, you've come to the right place! I hope you find your new circle of sisters on here give you comfort and help with advice and their experiences in the same way I have. Hang in there. 

JoJo x

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

Wow there is no stopping you is there ? You got in straight away, well done . Good luck with the next phase.

• pacwood
    edited March 2015

Hope you are healing well. Good luck and fingers and toes crossed on the node results.

xo Christie

• anne4weeks
    edited March 2015

I found out today that I am facing chemotherapy then radiotherapy as they found cancer in a lymph node beside the lump. Lump high grade/ fast growing. Surgeon says no need to remove underarm lymph nodes though. So this may take a bit longer to get through... 6 months?

The good part is - with chemo, I get menopause! Been hanging out for that, lol.

Appt Thursday next week, then book chemo. Probably 18 weeks with one session every 3 weeks.

Then radiotherapy for 4 weeks...

Then hormone-blockers (stops estrogen) and something else....

Bit stunned,

Anne

• anne4weeks
    edited March 2015

I found out today that I am facing chemotherapy then radiotherapy as they found cancer in a lymph node beside the lump. Lump high grade/ fast growing. Surgeon says no need to remove underarm lymph nodes though. So this may take a bit longer to get through... 6 months?

The good part is - with chemo, I get menopause! Been hanging out for that, lol.

Appt Thursday next week, then book chemo. Probably 18 weeks with one session every 3 weeks.

Then radiotherapy for 4 weeks...

Then hormone-blockers (stops estrogen) and something else....

Bit stunned,

Anne

• pacwood
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne.

Bit of a shock getting the results. We all wish they are best can senario but unfortunately we have to live with what life dishes us.

I too had a high grade cancer but no lymph involvement. Im having 6 rounds of chemo followed by 5 weeks of rad's. 

No hormone blockers for me but, my cancer is triple negative so no hormonal involvement. 

Good luck, it is crappy to go through but stay positive and look at the end result, CANCER FREE!!!!!!!

xoChristie

• w_w_w_dette
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne

Bugger - why don't the pathology results follow our plans??? It sounds like your surgeon has outlined the basis of your plan which is good and as you visit each person - medical and radiation oncologist, all the bits will start to fall in place and for me having that treatment plan meant heaps.

We are actually following very similar paths - mine lump was very small (less than 20mm) but unfortunately also grade 3 and I had 4 lymph nodes involved. I am having the 6 cycles (3 weeks apart) of chemo, followed by 6 weeks of radiation and then the hormone blocking (that's only oral though).

With my treatment I actually have a motto of expect the worst and then anything less is a bonus - and to date my chemo effects haven't been 'the worst'!!

All the very best wishes, Dette xx

• w_w_w_dette
    edited March 2015

Hi Anne

Sorry about the lack of reply - have only had ipad and can't post with that! I can imagine you're very interested in chemo side-effects, especialy if your drugs are similar to mine. Even if identical it will be amazing how differently each of us responds. I have made a few entries so just click on my name and read my blogs - they're available to my contacts. I have also been keeping a diary/blog of sorts and so will post that as a new blog - that way I can put tags in for anyone else interested.

I'll be thinking of you Thursday when you go for your appointment.

Take care, Dette xxx

• anne4weeks
    edited March 2015

More later after my appointments. Wore my fave old underwire bra all day yesterday, no probs! Wound is healing well.

love Anne

• Mouse
    Mouse Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

I am at the same stage- scared and waiting..surgeon on Wednesday too lets keep our fingers crossed...

• Mouse
    Mouse Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

I am at the same stage- scared and waiting..surgeon on Wednesday too lets keep our fingers crossed...