Income protection/tpd cover

Options
Dandelion
Dandelion Member Posts: 102
hi all 
christmans 2016 went on holidays from work , (work in disability which is very emotionally and physically demanding) only to be dx with bc. Feel ripped off have exhausted all sick pay and holiday pay (was a holiday from hell)
after having a mastecemony , axillary clearance , zoladex  2nd cycle and now at radiationion stage.
 Feel like crap and financially Broke . 
I have oncology appointment tomorrow which likely will start arimadex .
Later in year will have diep reconstruction. 
i phoned up my super fund a few weeks back thinking to cash in and get some money to survive s few months only to be pleasantly surprised I have income protection and tpd cover. 
There is heaps of paperwork involved and don't even know  if I qualify . 
What I do know is that regardless I don't see myself returning to such work as  I don't feel physically and emotionally for such s big responsibility . 
Onyone been down this road ? With some advise

Comments

• Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hello! I have just gone through the process! It does take a little time and effort but is worth it! Send me a pm if you would like me to elaborate further.  Take care.
    kind wishes Sandra
  • Dandelion
    Options
    Thanks so much @Scooper, I sent you a pm :) 

WOW @nikkid your so right about the guilt . That I need to work on . I'd be more than happy to pay them to take away the cancer dx so your right this is my entitlement .
     Thank you for the tips yes I will try and get a diary that's organised , Iv just shoved everything in a folder x 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Dandelion Ive been down this road and luckily still have income protection until January 2018. I work in education and my Vic Super also had the component of income protection, I didnt find this til nearly 12 months after my diagnosis and 6 months after treatment. I too exhausted all leave grrrr!!!! BUT it is alot of paperwork but do not get overwhelmed firstly! Step through each one, I had to include reports from both my Surgeon and Oncologist and I had 6yrs worth eventhough this was the first time applying for my 2nd diagnosis in 2015. Its through AMP and my Case Manager is amazing!! I work currently 3 days a week but cannot manage 5 as like you my job with Autistic Children is too demanding! I would have liked to have looked at TPD as my Oncologist said I cannot continue to do this work. The super has some tough guidelines though unless I had metastatic BC I wouldnt qualify. Happy to help you, feel free to contact with any queries at all that I can help. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Dandelion
    Options
    @melclarity, thank you so much .
    I think many are an aware they have income protection and surprised/relieved when finding out. Lucky I didn't withdraw and close my account as I seriously had no idea I had these extra .
    Mine reads I have two years protection , but that is a shame about the tpd particularly when your oncologist has stated you cannot continue with your work . Doesn't seem fair to be rejected. I wonder if that is your fund or all funds . I'm with first health super . 
    Geez Melinda what are you going to do about work ? 
    I'm trying to think up new brain waves but planning the week meals is proving challenging at the moment for me . 
    I got motivated today and sorted out my paper work and will bring in forms to my oncologist tomorrow and see what she says. 
    Thanks I might get back to you with more questions xxxx 

• melclarity
    Options
    Im with Vicsuper, I didnt look into the TPD, I just read up on what the general guidelines are and its pretty hard to get it. I also couldnt access any super either. Mine is 2yrs which has been great, though they only pay up to 65% of your full time wage at the time you stopped working. I can still do my job but maybe in a different type of school setting, I also have an office background too. There are other things I can do, but not sure yet. 

Your Oncologist/Surgeon should all have copies of all reports, any biopsies you had done, lumpectomy and diagnosis is what they will need. 

Sure sing out if you need help :) Melinda xo
  • Dandelion
    Options
    Thanks Mel xxx
  • Willow26
    Willow26 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    A financial counsellor can assist with understanding options, advocacy. the paperwork and also help with other issues related to financial hardship.  There is no cost to see a financial counsellor.  I am not sure where you are located but if you google "find a financial counsellor", put in your postcode/location etc you will be directed to where you can contact a financial counsellor local to you.
  • Dandelion
    Options
    @Willow21 thank you so much for your invaluable information x 

• Willow26
    Willow26 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    No problem, I am fairly new to the bc community and have quite a distance to go.  Wearing  another hat I am very familiar with community services and systems.  Use the financial counsellors to assist you with advocacy and negotiation of debts, eg debt waivers, debt negotiation, access to hardship consideration and supports as well as the details with your super.  They can also make calls/write requests with your permission which might also help reduce the mental strain and time left waiting on phones.  Happy I could help :). . 
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options

Dandelion said:

I think many are an aware they have income protection and surprised/relieved when finding out. Lucky I didn't withdraw and close my account as I seriously had no idea I had these extra .

In my case I had completely forgotten that I had Critical Illness/Trauma cover with my life insurance. I actually called my financial advisor to cancel an appointment because I was going to be in hospital having surgery. I thought his receptionist was a bit rude to ask about my surgery but then she reminded me about the insurance cover I had and filled out all the paperwork for me. All I had to do was sign it and add the doctors reports. 
    It was wonderful and meant that I could easily afford to take 6 months off work. 
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I just checked my income & TPD status on my Super - i currently only have employer funded Super. 
    It appears that I am not covered for either! Does anyone know if i apply for it now, if i'd be covered as it'd be classed as pre-existing? Is it worthwhile applying for it now? I am having mastectomy in 3 weeks then chemo after that, then radiotherapy after that. I have 2 weeks annual leave for the surgery, but apparently will need time off for the chemo, etc. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I'd  like to apply for now just in case anything crops up in the future. I used trauma cover of my life insurance for bc treatment . I've only total permanent disability on my super which I hope never to need. 
  • melclarity
    Options
    @MKitty68 I thought all Supers mandatory had TPD? Its usually both Death Benefit and Permanent Disablement. Income Protection alot of Supers don't have written into their policies and have to get separately. You probably could get it now however you will have to serve a waiting period and I think its 3 months. Even with my Income Protection I had to serve a 3 months waiting period from my last pay and ceasing work. By the time I got it I was backpaid which was great due to applying so late for it, as I didnt know I had it! I would have been lost without it. My first diagnosis I just used sick leave for surgery and radiation. Theres no way in 2015 with a recurrence and doing chemo I could have worked like I did back then. x
  • MKitty68
    MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
    Options
    I have called & apparently they will call me back tomorrow, so I shall ask about what I have & what my entitlement is. The 'increase my benefit' button says  'Insure 85% of my salary' so maybe it's there but not mentioned? I find it really confusing.. the monthly fee for that is only $21 + $6.50 to do the TPD for 2 units, which is what the death benefit is covered for. I put in 9 units for income as it says i'm not entitled to more