A cancer diagnosis doesn't have to be the end

Options
Kezz5
Kezz5 Member Posts: 2
Hi ladies (and gents)
I am writing today to tell you all a brief but important story.
Last Sunday (March 5th), I celebrated a very important milestone. Even though I didn't think it was special, people around me thought it was and were full of praise and congratulations. As I thought about it, I realised that they were right. You see, that date was the 20 year anniversary of my breast cancer surgery. My diagnosis and treatment shaped who I am today. I have learnt to appreciate the simple things and not to take anyone or anything for granted. In the last 12 months, I have lost friends to breast cancer and at present, another friend is beginning her journey. Many people have beaten this cruel disease and are still here years later, happy and healthy. My thoughts are with those who have been recently diagnosed and my message to you is this....be positive and call on your inner strength (it's there - we all have it). This is just another bump in the road.

Comments

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    Options
    Hi @Kezz5, what a beautiful message and congratulations on your 20 year milestone. I hope that I can celebrate that achievement someday too but in the meantime I am grateful that I have passed the 5 year mark, and you're right, although breast cancer is a part of my story it is not the whole book. Best wishes for your continued good health xx 
  • Melsie97
    Melsie97 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your post. Congratulations on reaching 20 year milestone.
    I'm sitting here receiving my final Chemo feeling happy but a little nervous. I still have 6 weeks of Radiotherapy and 3rd Weekly Herceptin until the end of the year
    My next step is to reach the 5 year mark. It gives me hope xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @kezz5 well that is just fantastic to read! Excellent!  Great achievement well worth the celebration!

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Congratulations that is a wonderful achievement absolutely! Something we don't hear alot of, so its refreshing! Hugs Melinda xo
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Congratulations, a wonderful spur and encouragement to all who feel dampened and daunted by treatment and anxiety. The difficulties can hide the purpose at times, to live a life! I'm looking at a 5 year anniversary (all being well, fingers crossed) later this year, and yes, many people are still here years later, healthy and happy.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hello Kezz5, congratulations, what a wonderful milestone.  Thank you for taking the time to post your story. We all remember how overwhelmed we felt in those early days and it is really inspirational and encouraging to read such a positive story. Sending my best wishes for your continued good health. Jane xx
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Hi @Kezz5 - thanks for sharing your story. Congratulations on this important milestone!

Your story shows us all that there is hope for us all on this BC road - and the reminder to draw on our inner strength in our darkest times is very pertinent - you are right - we all have it and we do need to find it while on this wild BC ride!. We will all be forever changed by our diagnosis but it does not define us but perhaps helps us realise what is important in our lives.

I have found too that not taking anything for granted and enjoying the simple things is helping to bring me peace as I progress through the treatment phases.

Wishing you many more years of health and happiness.xx
  • Kezz5
    Kezz5 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. We all bear physical scars from our experience, but if that's the worst thing we have to live with, we're pretty lucky. I wish all of you much love as you continue your own personal journey xx
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Yay @Kezz5 - congratulations! A milestone...but more importantly, what a life well lived. Good on you!

Wishing you many more years of happiness, health and positivity. Nikki xxx

• Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    What a wonderful milestone!! Such hope for all of us thank you for sharing and encouraging xx
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    We really need to read posts like yours - congratulations on your 20 year anniversary! xxx