Second time round. . .

Options
tessytink
tessytink Member Posts: 15
edited January 2017 in Newly diagnosed
Hi Everyone, 

Well the wends before Christmas i found out i have breast cancer for the second time sitting there in such shock i told my doctor thank you and walked out of his room...
On the way home it hit my husband who crumbled in my arms, telling my family was hard as i didn't want to ruin Christmas, everyone was sad but so supportive which is a lovely feeling.

I spoke to my surgeon who has given me the option of mastectomy or a reconstruction using my own tissue from my tummy (cant use an implant due to previous radiation) Im so confused this is a big decision that i need to make i am really unsure on what to do :neutral: I'm scared more so than last time because i got to keep my half my breast .. I have been reading all the information books i have been given but still finding it hard.

If anyone could share there story about what choice they made and how they feel it would be lovely :smile:

Thanks 

Love Tess 

Comments

Share Member Posts: 217
    Options

Hi there Tess,

I am so sorry to hear your news with your latest diagnosis.

For many of us, the fear of a recurrence is forever in the back of our minds. At times we can put it aside but I am sure there is that feeling in the pit of your stomach each time you go for an annual check-up. I know it was the same for me. 

Like you, I also experienced a recurrence. Mine was 4 years after my initial diagnosis. It is so frightening, I totally agree.

I was also told the same by both my bc surgeon and the plastic surgeon - unable to have an implant due to radiotherapy.

So, I was advised to have a mastectomy using autologous reconstruction using Latissimus Dorsi Flap.

As I am petite (152 cm, 42 kg's and have small breasts -12B which due to the stress induced weight loss went to 12A), this was found to be the best option for me.

It was done in the same operation - about 5-6 hours and I spent 5 days in hospital with community nurse visits at home for a few weeks afterwards. I went home with a few drains - 1 from the mastectomy and the other from the flap. These remained in for a few weeks and then removed in the rooms of my plastic surgeon.  

I found that I wanted this done all in the one procedure as I felt like I could not "cope" without my breast - I was only 41 at the time - and also I was fearful of having to go back and have more surgery.

The nipple was not able to be saved but was cut around it. The choice was then up to me if I wanted to have a nipple tattooed later on (I decided not to as when I am fully clothed with the right fitting bra then I look no different to any other woman). Today, almost 10 years down the track, my nipple looks as though it has been "bleached" and it is not a concern for me.

Also, being plastic surgery, I could not justify any more money spent on me - would rather spend it on a family holiday or major home renovations so everybody benefits.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

My plastic surgeon gave me his card with his mobile # on it - I rang him several times after hours for reassurance and clarification regarding several parts of the procedure.

Totally natural to be scared, frightened, unsure - everything you are feeling is normal.

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will get many responses from the lovely ladies on the site including our great Admin team.

Also have you received your My Journey kit ? See link - https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/my-journey-kit/order-my-journey-kit/ 

Wishing you all the very best Tess.

Regards Sheryl xxx

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @tessytink My heart absolutely goes out to you...sadly this is my Story Too!!  I too like @Share  had a recurrence. I had DCIS 2011 radiation and tamoxifen and at the 4yr mark also I had a recurrence in the scar tissue, IDC Stage 2 Grade 3 aggressive, had Chemo and now on Arimidex. Im 1yr post Chemo now and I absolutely GET how gutted you would be right now. I totally felt the same way. You think youve done all the right things and to face it again is soul destroying! I had a massive lumpectomy with this last diagnosis and the Surgeon felt it was enough as had clear margins and no lymph node involvement. All body scans also came back negative. Talk about blessed! and so very lucky! I am now however scheduled for a Mastectomy as both the Surgeon, Oncologist and Genetic Counsellors all agree as I am BRCA 1 & 2 negative that its best to do a single and that is all that is necessary, Im currently waiting for the call to be scheduled and they are also doing a Diep Flap reconstruction all at once, where they use the flap from your tummy and reconstruct. Happy to talk anytime, as all our beautiful ladies here are! Big Hugs!! I know its shocking right now, but deep breath and step at a time! Hugs Melinda xo

@share Gosh Sheryl! I didnt realise we both had the recurrence at the 4yr mark! once I get my date I might need some tips about coping with the surgery. Thanks!!! xo Melinda 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I am a year past a single mastectomy with no reconstruction and it has taken that long to get used to a flat chest on one side. I don't bother with any prosthesis or bra as my remaining boob is only small. If I had to have the other one off in the future I wouldn't mind, then I could go topless swimming lol. Breasts do not define who you are.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I chose a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction from the beginning and I am happy that I did. I had a tissue expander implant but would have liked a diep flap but my surgeon was very concerned in any delay and in the end I went with his advise and happy with this choice. I'm a heavy bottomed small shouldered pear shape and I would have spent my life altering clothes or stuffing them out without reconstruction. I also didn't want to always be reminded of the cancer whenever I changed. I swim, use community change rooms and feel no discomfort doing so. To me it was just part of putting the cancer behind me. I am sorry you have to go through this again. We are here to listen.