Exercise and Cancer

Options
ccasper
ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
edited November 2016 in Health and wellbeing
unsure if this has been posted before but here is a link for a doco on catalyst on the ABC. 

Before I started teaching, I was an exercise physiologist. This study is very very interesting and promising. I know it is hard for people to exercise throughout chemo but here is a doco on the benefits.

As I know about the benefits of exercise and cancer from previous study I have continued to exercise: walking 3 times a week, yoga once or twice as well as started back doing gym work. I feel it has helped with my side effects. And received an amazing compliment from a doctor the other day that has never met me before (I don't know whether to say it or not as well I don't want to jinx myself haha).

here it is:  Watching Catalyst Series 17 Ep 14 Exercise And Cancer in iview

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I found that it took cancer to finally get me into a gym membership. Which is pathetic! Walking, yoga, gym work, some weights is all part of just being fitter and healthier irrespective of cancer. Virtually all of it you can do without a gym, although I find the discipline of going somewhere at a certain time keeps me doing it. 
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    Options
    HI submarine,

Can I suggest you google for your local parkrun??? Its once a week, its free & the support & motivation you get from fellow parkrunners is amazing. It becomes quite social..

& NO, you do NOT have to run, many dont, many walk with kids in prams, some walk their dogs, some run, some shuffle. We all go at our own pace..
  • submarine
    submarine Member Posts: 14
    Options
    So funny, you answered the question I was asking in my head! (Ie, I don't know how to run!)
    I will definitely check it out, would be great to have some company!
    Thank you! :smile:
  • ccasper
    Options
    I'm starting a park run this weekend @Cate64
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    Options
    Excellent, good luck @ccasper, let me know what you think....

& you are welcome @submarine...

• Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I agree about the exercise. I know some days you can't manage to get out of bed for more than about 5 minutes (luckily I've only had one of those days) but I actually think you feel worse if you stay in bed all day. I went to a pilates class this morning which I hadn't done in ages and felt so good afterwards. It has inspired me to commit to more fitness classes through my chemo. 
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    Thanks for the link ccasper - it really inspires you to keep going.  I find that on the days I don't exercise I feel very blah and flat.  After a 35 min blast on the treadmill my mood completely changes and I feel 'up' again.  The thought that it is killing any malignant cells at the same time will certainly help!  Michelle x
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Options
    I hope that more and more oncologists will view exercise as another MEDICINE that they can prescribe to help improve outcomes for cancer patients. For me, I love that it is the only part of my treatment that has NO negative side effects. Now it is, hopefully, helping me to build bone lost through my on-going anti-hormone therapy.

Bottom line - it improves my quality of life! :)
  • ccasper
    Options
    Love it @Deanne

@Michelle R I know you are 5 years past cancer, can I ask how active you were during and after your treatment?
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Options
    @ccasper I have sent you a PM.
  • Gen_
    Gen_ Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The program is no longer on iView but it is here https://youtu.be/ffgAVrANmS4 how amazing!