Holiday Insurance

Options
Marlee
Marlee Member Posts: 105
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Hi lovely ladies,

I am near finishing radiation, after chemo and double mastectomy. 

I will be going on a short break overseas in May and will need travel insurance. I thought there was a post a while back on this?

I know I can't be covered for BC related stuff but is there any companies better than others when we have had breast cancer.

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Marlee,

I wrote a post on this and re-posted several times on request.

In their Product Disclosure Statement, Covermore will give you full insurance if you meet these conditions:

Treatment must have finished 6 months ago.  The cancer must not have spread beyond the primary site at any time. You must not stay overseas over 6 months.

They covered me on the phone, no problems at all.  I hope you meet their PDS terms.  Have a great trip!

xx Michelle

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Marlee, our family (husband & I and 2 kids) went to the UK last year via Singapore and took out Travel Insurance with Medibank as, depending on your status regarding breast cancer diagnosis, it is actually covered under their existing medical conditions policy. The PDS had the following statement:

Conditions we automatically cover
    Subject to the requirements shown, this policy
    automatically covers:
    Breast/Prostate/Kidney/Bowel/colon cancer – If You
    were diagnosed over 6 months ago, have not had any
    chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the last 6 months,
    Your cancer has not spread beyond the primary site
    at any time and Your Journey is less than 6 months.
    In respect of prostate cancer You must also have a
    Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) of 10 or less.

There are some existing conditions that they won't cover, or you need to be assessed for coverage, so worth checking out their details. I remember there were a few companies that offered similar coverage but can't remember them now.

I should also say however that we never had to test out this policy by making a claim :-)

Best of luck with the remainder of your treatment and enjoy your holiday, you deserve a lovely break! Jane xx

• Marlee
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks

I won't be 6mths post treatment but am with medibank so will have a look

• Marlee
    edited March 2016
    Options

I will only be 5wks post treatment so they won't cover me I think 

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited March 2016
    Options

Always worth asking. Sorry, it didn't click with me that you'd only be 5 weeks post treatment - that may well limit your options. Good luck xx

• Marlee
    edited March 2016
    Options

Definitely worth asking 

I appreciate your reply :)

• GeorginaMary
    GeorginaMary Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have heart failure as well as my recent mastectomy.  I have no idea what their cancer policy is, but Flight Centre sells an insurance which was always prepared to cover me for my heart failure when I got knock backs from other companies.  Good luck.  I had no idea that the cancer would put time restrictions on travel like others have encountered.  Enjoy your holiday.  After having gone through what you have, you deserve a lovely times.  Georgina. xxx

• GeorginaMary
    GeorginaMary Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2016
    Options

I forgot to add that with Flight Centre insurance I had to pay about an additional $170 or so as being a higher medical risk.

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2016
    Options

Alliance covered me I have a rare blood cancer and I'm going to singapore it was about $300

• Marlee
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks

I will look into them

I am looking forward to the holiday :))

• Marlee
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks

will look at their policy

Enjoy Singapore :)

• BRFacilitator
    BRFacilitator Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have just taken out cover with Covermore and their PDF is very similar to medibank.  There were two others that were cheaper (columbusdirect and insureandgo), however when I read their reviews from people trying to  make a claim they were not very good and had all sorts of reasons why they couldn't pay. Covermore has great reviews.  I will also look at medibank next time as they sound good. If they won't cover you for breast cancer they will probably cover you for everything but that and hopefully if your travel is soon which it sounds like it is, the BC should not cause you any problems so soon after treatment.  I would think just making sure you are taking precautions against infrection etc as you probably did during chemo should keep you well.

Have a great trip 

Paula

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited April 2016
    Options

OOPS wrong login... Wearing too many hats today.

Paula ;)