New to group

Options
CaitlinLlewelyn
CaitlinLlewelyn Member Posts: 12
edited March 2016 in General discussion

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group so thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Caitlin, I am 29 years old & I was diagnosed with triple positive (Oestrogen, Progesterone & HER2 positive) breast cancer in August 2015 after finding a lump in my right breast (25mm, stage 2 grade 3). Luckily it had not spread anywhere else. I've had to consider fertility preservation considering I have not had any children. I decided to have only the Zoladex injections because I didn't want to do anything else more invasive. My boyfriend of 8 years & I still don't know if we want kids, but I really hope that decision hasn't been taken away.

It's been such a whirlwind since my diagnosis. I had breast conserving surgery in September. Started 6 months of chemo in October with Herceptin added in December. Radiotherapy will follow chemo & then I'll take Tamoxifen for 10 years! Chemo was tough at the beginning however the weekly sessions I'm currently having are so much easier, I've only got 3 to go!

Looking forward to connecting with you, this group sounds really great! 

Caitlin :)

Comments

• amgorr
    amgorr Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi caitlyn

my name's Aimee I was diagnosed end of Jan 2017 with triple negative breast cancer.  I just finished freezing some embryos and am also on Zolodex. My husband and I do have an 8 month old little girl and we were planning a second and I like you am hoping that that decision hasn't been taken away from us. 

Im doing chemo before surgery and had my first session yesterday. It isn't fun so I'm glad you say it gets better. I have 4 sessions, 3 left on these drugs and then 4 session of another drug.

wishing you well on the next steps in your journey. ??

• KirstM
    KirstM Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Caitlin, 

So sorry to hear you've had to go through all this, too!

My name is Kirsten, I'm 27 and was diagnosed in November last year with oestrogen and progesterone +ve breast cancer (invasive ductal, 17mm, grade 3). I tried fertility preservation but was unsuccessful as I did not have enough mature follicles to go ahead with harvesting. For me, this has been the most distressing part of my treatment thus far, particularly because my husband has been unusually unsupportive as he has not been coping mentally (even before my diagnosis). He just can't envision the future and found the idea of IVF something he couldn't process in such a crazy circumstance. Also I think in the hurried nature of the process, I didn't really understand that it might not work.

I have monthly zoladex and finished my chemo beginning of February. I am planned to have surgery next week, lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. Hopefully all goes well and then I'm set to have 6 weeks of radiotherapy.

At times I find myself feeling really isolated, friends are off doing their thing and have a only vague understanding of how my life has changed, and I love going to my support group but I am by far the youngest! I do have wonderful support in my family.

I'm so glad you posted, the online community opens up plenty more opportunities to connect with others in the same boat. And then I find I'm not so alone!

Sending you hugs and wishing you all the best as you finish up thile next part of your treatment.

Much love, 

Kirsten??

• CaitlinLlewelyn
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Aimee, 

I hope all goes well with your fertility plans. I'm starting to think that I should have frozen some embryos as well but it's too late for me to think about that now.

If I can give you any advice re chemo, i'd say report all/any of your side effects because they can usually be minimised or helped! 

Wishing you all the best for the next steps in your journey as well. Xox

• CaitlinLlewelyn
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Kirsten, 

I'm glad your family is a good support but I'm sorry that your husband isn't coping/supporting you very well. It is a very scary thing to have to deal with & I guess everyone handles it differently. I'm sure in time it'll become easier for him. My partner struggled at the beginning as well but he's amazing now.

I completely understand what you say about the hurried nature of things! I'm just now starting to wish that I had frozen some embryos, but it's too late to think about that now.

Sometimes I feel isolated as well, I am always the youngest in the treatment room having chemo. I envy my friends still going about their normal lives however my diagnosis has really put things about my life into perspective. I'm trying to remain positive & am looking forward to the next chapter after treatment!

Sounds like we'll be having Radiotherapy around the same time.

We're certainly not alone :)

All the best with your surgery next week Kirsten. 

Caitlin ?? xox

• Christel
    Christel Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Caitlyn,

I have just been diagnosed with triple negative and I'm 37. I am a Mum to a 6 year old girl who was conceived via IVF. And yes whirlwind is what I am currently experiencing. 

i wish you all the best for your 3 remaining chemo sessions and radiotherapy. Welcome to the group.

• CaitlinLlewelyn
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Christel,

Sorry I only just saw your msg, I didn't receive a notification!

Thank you for the welcome & sorry to hear you're going through it as well.

Wishing you all the best throughout your journey.

Caitlin xox

• emkitters
    emkitters Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Caitlin,

I've been in a similar journey: diagnosed October last year, I was 27, triple positive invasive ductal carcinoma, no kids, unlikely IVF would have been successful due to timing, so getting Zoladex jabs every 4 weeks. I've had chemo first, and herceptin which will be ongoing for the rest of the year, and I'm now awaiting my op, with radiation and tamoxifen to follow. 

You're even closer to the end now since this was posted so congratulations! I was elated when I finished chemo on the 2nd!

A friend (same age) recently reached out - she's been going through exactly the same cancer journey too. She did opt for having her eggs harvested and she said she wished she hadn't as it was an awful process at a difficult time, plus she's also on Zoladex anyway. I found getting that different perspective helped a little with coming to terms with not having been able to. Like you, I hope the decision to have kids hasn't been taken away from me. 

Zoladex injections...I'm surprised to not see more people mentioning just how much they hurt on here!! Is it just me??? I have cried with all but one of them it's so painful - and I have never been that bad with needles! It's great what it does, amazing and necessary...but OUCH!

Thanks for sharing your story. Really hope you're doing well and wishing you the best.

Em x

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited March 2016
    Options

Welcome to the group Caitlin x

• CaitlinLlewelyn
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Em,

Yes our journeys are very similar!

You probably saw my response on someone else's post about my portacath becoming infected. I went to ED & they admitted me to hospital, pumped me with antibiotics for a few days, removed my port & sent me home with oral antibiotics. They decided to pull the plug on my final chemo which would've been today so I am very happy to be finished with chemo now!

Thanks for sharing your friends story about her freezing eggs, I feel like if I did it I would've experienced the same thing as her so it does help me to feel better about my decision.

Omg yes the Zoladex is SUCH a big needle isn't it! It did hurt initially but I became used to it. Considering we become a human pin cushion throughout all of this! I used to be terrible with needles, fainting & all but am MUCH better now. I guess you get used to it after having sooo many jabs & blood tests!

I hope you're doing well & good luck for your operation if you haven't had it yet!

Caitlin xox

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Aimee,

Thanks for jumping in and sharing your story. x