Coping with a young family and Breast Cancer

Options
shereejoy
shereejoy Member Posts: 120
edited June 2011 in General discussion

Hi all,

Who has a young family?

How are you all coping physically and emotionally through the treatment journey. 

I am very lucky I have family here helping me continuously.  I would seriously be lost without them.  I was far to sick on FEC... now I am onto Taxotere I think I am coping a little better, but it is only Day 3, so won't say that too loudly! lol

Sheree
xo

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sheree

Our kids were 2 and 4 when I was diagnosed and going through chemo.  As you know it is very difficult to juggle children and chemo and try to keep some sort of normality.  Along with being sick there was toilet training, trips to the doctor and tantrums.  I was so ill from chemo that it was hard trying to do normal things with the kids.  My eldest started school one week after my first chemo, so at least I only had the one (Miss 2) at home on week days.

I know lots of people say accept help when offered, but unfortunately for me not too many people offered help.  I think most didn't know what to do or say so said nothing and stayed away.  I have spoken to friends since and they all said that they thought I would want privacy...... and to be honest I probably would have declined offers of help, who knows maybe not.

Hope you are coping, I survived that time, but seems to fall over when chemo was over and things were supposed to be over. 

Tanya xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sheree

Our kids were 2 and 4 when I was diagnosed and going through chemo.  As you know it is very difficult to juggle children and chemo and try to keep some sort of normality.  Along with being sick there was toilet training, trips to the doctor and tantrums.  I was so ill from chemo that it was hard trying to do normal things with the kids.  My eldest started school one week after my first chemo, so at least I only had the one (Miss 2) at home on week days.

I know lots of people say accept help when offered, but unfortunately for me not too many people offered help.  I think most didn't know what to do or say so said nothing and stayed away.  I have spoken to friends since and they all said that they thought I would want privacy...... and to be honest I probably would have declined offers of help, who knows maybe not.

Hope you are coping, I survived that time, but seems to fall over when chemo was over and things were supposed to be over. 

Tanya xx

• Lindapinda
    Lindapinda Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tanya,

Did you feel disappointed in your friends? It's interesting hearing that your friends thought to respect your privacy.

It's also been some time since your posting so am wondering how your experience has affected your relationship with your friends today. Have you come to terms with it all?

Linda.