Fear of recurrence - why now?

Options
melanieg51
melanieg51 Member Posts: 15
edited August 2015 in Health and wellbeing

I'm currently 2.5 years cancer free, but all of a sudden I am finding it hard to deal with my fear of recurrence. I have never felt like this before. Every twinge of pain or ache makes my mind race but aside from that I'm looking the best I ever have and have never been so healthy. I don't know who to talk about this fear with my GP? A counsellor. Maybe I'm just stressed but I wonder at what point should I bring this to my doctor's attention?

Comments

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi if you are thinking about it alot then maybe you should mention to doc or speak to a a counsellor. I think about it but I can;t do anything about it, I try to concentrate on enjoying life and avoiding stress. I'm having a problom with my job at the moment. I work fulltime and I don't think I'm coping, as there has been alot of change.. I have visited a counsellor and I did find it helped. Take care it is good you are feeling so well other wisexx

• LeneNatt
    LeneNatt Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi It's ok I think we all have moments of anxiety/fear. For myself the trigger can be a Dr's visit or happy news weird I know. We all have different ways of dealing with it, for myself I go back to when I was first diognosed & remember how I coped. It is also necessary sometimes to talk to a psycholagist & even keeping a diary writing your thoughts down can help. Give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it ?? 

• deh
    deh Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Melanie

Just a few thoughts.

Sometimes I think that fear of recurrence is the biggest challenge to face, after bc diagnosis and treatment. It affects us all differently, at different times.

When it preoccupies my thoughts, I try to put it in perspective and calmly remind myself that I am a survivor - before my head spins out of control! I often find a brisk walk or some exercise relieves any stress before it has a chance to take hold.

If I need reassurance, I will share my worries openly with people I trust and generally find their support really helpful. If I haven't seen my GP for a while, I'll book a checkup, discuss any worries I'm having and go away with a practical plan. 

Sometimes I'll discover a new resource, or just read a post through the BCNA network, that gives me a new strategy or idea to try. It helps me reduce my fear, by thinking about it in a bigger, real life context. It changes the way I focus on it, so it's more manageable and has less negative impact on me and my feelings.

I feel like bc is life-changing because it teaches us so much about our vulnerability and our resilience. I feel more experienced and more empowered to face the future. I feel more hope and happiness in my heart.

So please keep talking about your feelings and sharing any worries or fears. You are learning more about yourself every day.

Also remember to be kind to yourself, stay informed and ask for help when you need it .

Keep in touch.

Di

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello Melanie:) I am almost at the 2 year mark,and like you,I have never felt so well.However,I know exactly what you mean! I think the reason that you are worrying more now,is because that in the beginning ,the support is there more; from the medical profession,friends are still attentive,family are there every moment,and therefore you feel quite safe.( without realising it,because really you want to be over it) But now,years down the track,you are like everyone else,the only difference is,you HAD cancer:) I think that as time goes on,we can feel quite alone and frightened ,without really realising it.I know that this is how I feel,because some days I can cry for almost no reason! And that is one of the reasons that I find great comfort in this network.You will always feel supported here,and by people who know EXACTLY how you feel.Try and stay connected on here for a while,and see if it helps.I am sure this is only temporary,but the suggestion of getting a checkup from your GP is a good one.I did this about 6 months ago,and for no particular reason.I asked him to do all my bloods and also look at tumour markers.Everything came back perfect,and it helped me enormously.Take care.Cheers Robyn xox