Travel Insurance

Options
MaggieR
MaggieR Member Posts: 21
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Hi Ladies and Gents,  just thought I'd let you know that there is a new provider of travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. http://www.columbusdirect.com.au/ . I made my 25th anniversary European travel arrangements prior to diagnosis and I cant change the dates again (points).  I was hitting brick walls all over the place including Covermore.  This insurer seems to know about the differences in breast cancer with the specific questions it asks.  Its all on-line too.   What a relief.  My condition is such that I won't have to see a Dr or go to a hospital for anything to do with the cancer but its good to know that I have legitimate coverage. 

BCNA, thank you for your hard work on this.  I'm sure this provider will be one of many in the future.

Comments

• kimck
    kimck Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Maggier, can you advise if the cost of the travel insurance is a lot dearer than if you didn't have to insure for breast cancer?

I'm a bit confused about travel insurance now that I have had breast cancer, whether we have to state  this when applying for travel insurance as a pre-existing condition. Would there be a possibly that if it wasn't stated that the insurance company could knock back a claim completely unrelated to bc e.g. whether it be loss of luggage or a hospital incident (not bc)?

• vickimarie
    vickimarie Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015
    Options

I am also confused about travel insurance. My treatment finished over a year ago and my 1 year check up was all clear. I am also going to Europe but the travel insurance companies I have contacted have said yes it is pre-existing and really upped the cost. I can understand if you have heart problems etc where you may need medical attention while you are away but I consider 'my condition' no longer exists! And anyway if it did come back while I was away I wouldn't need treatment right there and then.

One company even wanted to charge me $75 to do a risk assessment test before even giving me the insurance and one doubled the insurance!!!!!

I'm really interested in seeing what others have to say. Glad you bought it up Maggier, I didn't even think about bringing it up here!

Regards Vickimarie

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi, Im Jess from BCNA. I just wanted to let you know that BCNA also have a fact sheet on travel insurance which might have some useful information, if you wanted to have a look, you can find out more here~ https://www.bcna.org.au/media/2137/bcna-fact_sheet-travel-insurance-for-women-with-early-breast-cancer.pdf

• vickimarie
    vickimarie Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks Jess,

Didn't know that bcna had a fact sheet on travel insurance! I'll need to have a look into what else they have info on!

That was just what I needed!

Regards Vickimarie