My first post

Options
sparker
sparker Dragonfly Posts: 17
edited June 2015 in General discussion

Hi, I was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer last Nivember. I am a Principal of a school and that makes my illness high profile. I would like to belong to this group, because it's so hard to talk to anyone else! Family and friends stress and they find it really hard to understand. So I'm hoping that you will be there to chat with and that I will learn and be a shoulder to lean on when listening to your stories! 

Thanks and I look forward to blogging with you xxx

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hello and welcome to the online network:) I don't have advanced BC,and I am sure that there are many things particular to having this.On this page,at the top,you will see ' groups' and the blue writing says ' view more groups'.If you click on that and scroll down a little way,you will come to a group called ' living with advanced/ secondary Breast cancer'. Would this be suitable for you? There are many groups within the online network,all with their own special features.Please stay in touch,and I hope that you become a regular blogger:):) There is someone here 24/7 if u need to chat:) Cheers Robyn ox

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited June 2015
    Options

Welcome to the site come on anytime threre is generally someone on. This is a great plce to visit weget it. Take care of yourselfx

• Kazzi
    Kazzi Member Posts: 263
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Sparker,

Welcome to the network. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis which is the reason why we all came together in the first place. I've found it to be a great source of support and advice as sit in my 'office' every morning before I face the day. 

I was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in late April.  Had to have 3 surgeries to clear myself of the dreaded cells resulting in a mastectomy 2 weeks ago.  Everything is still quite new, raw and I'm learning to at least look at my scar.  Immediate reconstruction was not really an option, as I told my surgeon, lets deal with the cancer first... After 2 previous surgeries my rather small boob was so inflamed, I really didn't want any other factor to complicate the commencement of chemo which will be at some stage. (I'm about to see my medical oncologist to find out about all that).

I'm a primary teacher and still remember that dreaded phone call from my gp telling me to come to see her.  It was lunchtime and I was in the staffroom at the photocopier. I haven't been back.  My whole world collapsed around me that day.  A replacement teacher is now on my class and I know no teacher is irreplaceable.  Most of the staff know of my situation and some parents too.  I don't think my students know of the ikky details.  I'm not sure when I'll be back.  I really miss the camaraderie.

I live in the local area to my school and still haven't ventured out to the local shops yet where I'm sure to run into someone.

As much as my friends and family are supportive, they really don't understand what's going on in my head.  I also don't want to stress them too much with all my worries.  It can be just too much cancer talk sometimes. 

Stay in touch

Karen xx

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Sparker and welcome to our online network. You'll get great support from people who understand and I've found everyone wonderful. Tracey B

• sparker
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you Tracey! Some days are easier than others, and I hope I can be helpful to others as well xx

• sparker
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you Rowdy,

I'm sure I will be on often xxx

• sparker
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you so much Katen! I hope you are healing well? I totally understand about living in the same community and venturing out. I live in a small rural town and have been very vocal about cancer and have organised the last three years of the Relay for Life and publicly speaking about my journey. But now as my condition starts to take its toll, I'm not that interested in being in the public eye. This is hard and I've also been staying home when I'm not working. How are your kids going? Do they know you are recovering? I only ask, because when I had my second cancer, my kids we very anxious and the school rang me to go and visit. The kids just needed to see me and to know I was ok! Yours are probably feeling the same way. 

I am starting to feel a bit of pain in my neck and spine and it's starting to become real! Very scary knowing what is happening to me! I've always been healthy and fit and training now seems out of the question most days.

hope you have a great day

Sonia xxx

• Kazzi
    Kazzi Member Posts: 263
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Sonia,

Thanks for your reply.  You sound amazing with all the public speaking about cancer in your local community.  I can understand your need to withdraw from that. 

Although I live in the city, I often say our suburb is like a village.  The local shops and primary schools are the focus.  I've only been out walking, away from the shopping precinct, down near parks, river so I don't  come across people yet. I came across a friend/colleague the other day by surprise and burst into tears, so I don't think I'm ready to walk back into my old life just yet.

According to a few close friends/colleagues, my class know I'm on sick leave and recovering.  Kids are resilient and adapt to change quickly, and I'm also learning to let go to focus on getting better. 

Everyone I've spoken to from work gets a lecture from me about getting up close and personal with their own boobs.  (as I found the lump myself). Male colleagues as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your extra pains.  I can only imagine the extra worries you must be going through. 

Stay in touch,

Karen

• Chixon
    Chixon Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Sonia. Just to let you know that we are 'here' for you. Come on this site for all the support, love and understanding you could wish for. Thinking of you.Chris.x

• sparker
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thank you Chris, I am feeling the the love xxxx

• sparker
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Karen,

just wanted to say, hang in there! You will know when it is time to put yourself back into the public eye and you will find everyone who loves and cares about you waiting with open arms xxxx