Getting through chemo!

Options
MargK
MargK Member Posts: 2
edited April 2011 in General discussion

I am new at coming to terms with having to undergo chemo/herceptin! Any advice for symptons?

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, and welcome to the site. If you need a hand with anything just shout. :)

If you want to find other posts that have already been made on the topics you're interested in, you can try the main site search (that's the box above the main navigation where it says 'start your search here').  Type in the word or topic you're looking for (like 'chemo') and when the results come back, it will tell you on the right side which are blog posts, and which are site pages.

The other thing you can do is have a look at posts that people have labelled with a 'tag'. The best way to do that is to go to the main All posts page: http://www.bcna.org.au/node/all/blog/network, and on the right hand side you'll see a box labelled 'filter by tag'.  If you click on the link at the bottom labelled 'more' it will show you all of the tags people have used.  Click on any one of those links, and it will list all the posts that have been labelled with that tag.

Hope that helps. :)

Di

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

What sort of symptoms are you experiencing?  There are some great tips from the ladies on here - Di's suggestion to do a search is great.

What Chemo Regime are you doing?

Amanda

• traxx65
    traxx65 Member Posts: 252
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi There,

If you have any bone pain or aches and pains, I have found that Voltaren 25 is really great.  The hospital can give you something for nausea if you suffer from it.  Mostly they tell you that you really need to keep an eye on your temperature.  If your temp gets to 38 degrees, they want you to head back to the hospital.  Your side effects will dictate what treatment to seek out.  Always check with the pharmacist if you are buying something from  there.

There are lots of stories on here about everyones different or similar side effects.  Just search for either the side effects you are having or even the name of the treatment you are having.

All the best.  Take care.

Tracey

• traxx65
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi There,

If you have any bone pain or aches and pains, I have found that Voltaren 25 is really great.  The hospital can give you something for nausea if you suffer from it.  Mostly they tell you that you really need to keep an eye on your temperature.  If your temp gets to 38 degrees, they want you to head back to the hospital.  Your side effects will dictate what treatment to seek out.  Always check with the pharmacist if you are buying something from  there.

There are lots of stories on here about everyones different or similar side effects.  Just search for either the side effects you are having or even the name of the treatment you are having.

All the best.  Take care.

Tracey

• MargK
    MargK Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thankyou to tracey, amanda and di for responding to my query.I will follow up on this info. I have had a second treatment and experienced nausea and vomiting for the first time! Not impressed!! Still feeling nausea but am taking maxellon? My treatment regime is 6 x chemo with docetaxel + carboplatin with Herceptin (trastuzumab). when the 6 are up the herceptin continues once every 3 weeks for a total of 52 weeks. my cells were HER2+ which means overactive cells.thanks for your help, i dont get much time for blogging especially when i dont feel well,struggling to type properly at the moment!! ciao marg.

• traxx65
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Marg,

a bottle of ginger beer is a valuable thing to have on hand.  A quarter of a glass can help with the nausea.  Blackmores also have travelcalm ginger tablets, and they also work well, for me anyway, hopefully they work for others.

I was diagnosed advanced 5 years ago and didn't have chemo until December and this year.  I am on Abraxane for the chemo but I am also having Herceptin because I apparently had two types of tumour.  I'm not sure how long I will be on Herceptin but I have two more Abraxanes to go and then the same regime as you every three weeks.

Take care and hope this helps.

Tracey xx

• traxx65
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Marg,

a bottle of ginger beer is a valuable thing to have on hand.  A quarter of a glass can help with the nausea.  Blackmores also have travelcalm ginger tablets, and they also work well, for me anyway, hopefully they work for others.

I was diagnosed advanced 5 years ago and didn't have chemo until December and this year.  I am on Abraxane for the chemo but I am also having Herceptin because I apparently had two types of tumour.  I'm not sure how long I will be on Herceptin but I have two more Abraxanes to go and then the same regime as you every three weeks.

Take care and hope this helps.

Tracey xx