Bookworms unite

Cosette
Cosette Member Posts: 637

When I flew to QLD for Summit, I sat down next to a lovely lady who turned out to be an avid reader, like me. The only thing I like almost as much as reading is talking about books. Any other voracious readers in the house? What kinds of books do you read? What are your favourites? What are you reading now?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Murder and mayhem. Blood on the tiles. Female protagonists with bad attitudes and big bikes.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2017
    I love detective stories, murder mysteries and currently quite differently obsessed with the "girl in the box" series (up to book 16). I also enjoy historical books like Jane Eyre. I sadly left my kindle behind when I came for surgery...so have managed to scrounge some magazines at least.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Wading through Peter Barton's terrific book on Fromelles (another totally pointless battle of WW1), a book on the rise of Trump (riveting but scary too), Judi Dench's autobiography and Ladies in Black. Bad habit of several books on the go at once. Science fiction (but never so called science fantasy!) for light reading. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Murder, true crime, fantasy (as in dragonriders of pern - not Fabio in mills and boon) more murder, medieval history and more murder. Excellent!!!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Oh Socoda. ..we are more than bc sisters lol. Love medieval stuff and fantasy too. 
  • Cosette
    @Zoffiel, that sounds pretty awesome. Would you recommend a title or two?

@primek The Girl in the Box series sounds interesting. Have you seen Jessica Jones on Netflix? It sounds like they have a similar vibe.

I tend to go for classics and literary fiction, but I just finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman in anticipation of the TV adaptation coming out later this month. That defies genre, having won the Hugo and Nebula awards (given to sci-fi and fantasy) and the Bram Stoker award (given to dark fantasy and horror). It's not the sort of thing I normally read, but it was excellent.

This week, I started Looking for Darkness: Tara and the Black Madonna by China Galland. This is a sort of spiritual travel memoir. The author traveled through Nepal, India, Switzerland, France, and Poland in search of feminine forms of the divine, specifically the Buddha Tara and the Black Madonna. Again, not usually the sort of thing I read, but it's good to mix it up.
  • Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
    I love thrillers and anything that keeps you turning the page. Not into romance and fluffy reads, thankfully my Mum and sister share the same taste in books although I tend to be the one supplying them at the moment. Just read the Roanoke Girls and The Girl Before, both really great stories.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    I love forensic thrillers such as the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffrey Deaver.  Any crime thriller keeps me awake reading until the the wee hours. Harlan Coben and Mark Billingham write a good story too but I'm always on the lookout for a new author!  Jane 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey Jane @Hopes and Dreams, have you read the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell?
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    I've some of the earlier ones @socoda! Thanks for reminding me, I always enjoyed them
  • Cosette

PaulaN said:

If its printed I'll read it LOL

I totally get that! I'm read the cereal box whilst I'm having cereal in the morning. lol Makes a lot of sense that I ended up in a job where I'm reading all day long.
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Im reading liane moriarty aussie author .oh big little lies
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Bought a stash also at the op shop on friday
  • Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
    Hi Girls, that enjoy Thrillers/ Crime novels have a look at Karen Rose and Martina Cole ( the latter does use colourful language but it is in context to the characters )