Pilates

Kat09
Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
edited March 2017 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Ladies, I have just been to see my Physio and she mentioned a program specifically catering to people going through or recovering from Cancer treatments. The program is run by qualified Physiotherapists and includes many options for aiding in your physical recovery. You can find participating clinics in your area by going to the PINC & STEEL website.

Tagged:

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Kat09 Yes I've heard of this...I researched late last year and was going to go down this path, for me this is exactly what I needed in my recovery as I was so ill and debilitated. My income protection however jumped in and organised an Exercise Physiologist that I still see, OMG its been the best honestly, she just seems to know exactly what my body has been through and what I need in terms of getting my muscles moving so I can eventually move into weight bearing and a little cardio. Slow going, but Im so glad Ive started this way..Hugs x
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    I've been doing pilates for about 5 years. My instructor )a qualified physical therapist) is AMAZING - she both got me ready for my mastectomy and then gently helped me through my recovery. She has been doing the same focussed work with me in anticipation for my reconstruction at the end of March.

The good thing about pilates is the focus on the core and mobility. It really helps whilst in hospital, walking and throughout the recovery period.
  • melclarity
    @nikkid thats so great! I agree too, I believe Im bouncing back so quickly now because of all the core work I did with mine, she really got m ready. Mind you Im not sure when I can resume or how much I could do, I guess she'll know more. x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi there is a DVD called Strengthen Your Recovery (Pilates) that came in the bag of information with my Berlei Bra.  I have found the link on the site, for those that can't get near a PINC & STEEL website, like me, nowhere around here!

https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2011/12/strengthen-your-recovery-a-pilates-dvd/

Take care

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Yes the Pinc and Steel seem to be based in cities not in regional areas.  I will look at the link thanks @iserbrown

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    The DVD is excellent - I followed it closely after my mastectomy. Really helped :)
  • Pommy8
    Pommy8 Member Posts: 128
    Is pilates good for preventing osteoporosis?
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Perhaps pilates would be good alongside more weight bearing exercises, which are strongly recommended for preventing osteoporosis. I would like to hear what others are doing for exercise? Remember skipping? I can't even jump off the ground - lol! 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi @Pommy8
    i have been doing Pilates for 20 years as I had a lower back issue.
    At 6 weeks post mastectomy I went back ( after checking with my surgeon) and did a modified programme.
    My instructor is very experienced and gradually added in things and now 2 years later I do the full original programme.
    It includes weight bearing exercises , core strength exercises and stretching.
    I love it.
    I also do walking and some small weights and stretches at home every day.
    Take care🌺
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Sorry @Pommy8
    I forgot to say I also take actonel once a week which my oncologist prescribed to stave off osteoporosis as I am on AIs for at least 5 years.
    She did say wright bearing exercises were good as well.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Love my pilates classes. I go once a week, do my own program with supervision from a physio. There are a maximum of 4 in the class so plenty of individual attention to achieve strength and resistance training. It's great for bone and muscle strength, balance and core strength. 
  • melclarity
    They do say weight bearing exercises are good yes. Chemo put me into a state of osteoporotic :( in 2015, so I've been on Prolia injections for 7 yrs now, and they work amazingly :) my Oncologist is super impressed. I stopped meds in January as I'd been on them for over 10 years. I have 1 more Prolia and thats it :) Im reasonably active in my job but dont do weight bearing exercises, I have fibromyalgia too but never talk about it or let it stop me :) xx

• Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    I’ve recently  been told by a registrar that Ive got osteopenia, she didn’t tell me what to do but to come back in 12 months. I’m going to an exercise class twice a week & have started Zumba too. I ended up in tears as she wasn’t very helpful. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    @Jwrenn

It’s annoying when medical staff either assume you know everything, or that you don’t care!! Apart from weight bearing exercise, vitamin D and magnesium may help. It’s always wise to check supplements with your oncologist or GP, just in case they clash with anything else. The basics remain - a good, healthy diet, don’t smoke, limit alcohol. Best wishes. 
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I have osteopenia from treatment & have had 6 Zometa infusions. Depending on my next bone density my oncologist said I might need a yearly top up.  I have always been an exerciser & at 63 still do pump classes which are weights, body combat & dragon boat racing. I have also taken up reformer Pilates which is a great workout for your muscles using resistance & weights are used too. I don’t know whether this has helped as I have been on Letrozole for over 5 years but just as important is to keep muscles strong as you get older.