Moving forward

primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
edited February 2017 in Health and wellbeing

The last 2 weeks I've increased my work hours to 8 hours a day 4 days a week.

I felt ready to do this but still surprised how much more tired I am with just an extra hour a day. I've needed a nap when I've got home each day.

I've also needed to back off my exercise a bit again. Seems to happen like this. Can have a week where I feel really strong then a week when super tired. This week I'm super tired and my sleep pattern isn't so good again. Even though I've accepted the end of treatment I think it is still playing on my mind.

So I am learning to listen to my body. I think if I can manage at least 3 to 4 days of structured exercise  I'm doing okay. I try to reach 7,000 steps most days if I can in general movement. I haven't had the energy to swim laps but have at least done pool workouts and aquafit Sundays which is quite intense. Swimming laps takes psychological strength not just physical to keep going.  So Zumba and gym out presently but will be back in I hope when I've adjusted to the 8 hour day again.

Weight wise I'm almost back to where I was when diagnosed. Between the stress, my graves disease pushing up hunger, my cancer treatment including steroids, my plummeting of activity on treatment and my bizarre changed taste buds I managed to gain over 20kg and was heavier than I have ever been in my life.
I've lost 20kg since September and now just working off those last kgs to get inside healthy weight BMI. The weight loss has certainly helped improve energy levels, walking is a whole lot easier.

Reduced weight also reduces available estrogen for cancer to grow on. I am on a hormone blocker but it can't hurt to reduce the amount flowing through my system anyway.

I'm  slowly adjusting to my appearance change. I am delighted to have hair but with it's altered state , grey and curly from slight wave and brown, I just feel I look so different. People don't recognise me even back to my old weight. So me thinking I look different is not just in my head. I caught a reflection of myself the other night and my hair looked so much like my mothers grey curly permed hair back in the 90s it shocked me. It's not long enough to try straightening yet and the colour is changing so I'm not keen to do anything with it until I know what it is doing. Most definetly is steel grey presently. Ive done 8 years of greying in 6 months.

I finally have a date for my changeover surgery for my permanent breast implants rather than the tissue expanders that are currently in. Those little bits of surgery and removal of my portacath is when I will really feel like my treatment has finished. The stopping of my herceptin suddenly has left me in limbo with no countdown I guess. So looking at this as being the finish line will help me to acknowledge the end of treatment.

So good health is returning...ever so slowly.
I will be forever changed from this experience but I am determined to claim my life and energy back to where it was before treatment. In fact I'd like to believe I can be fitter and healthier both mentally and physically than I was before diagnosis. Watch this space.  :)

Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Kath I know you are doing wonderfully with all the hurdles we have to jump on this ride...

It has taken me a few years to get back to feeling ok and not needing nana naps. 

to get my sleep pattern going really well I was introduced to Petrea King CD - Relaxation I found it very good, the other one was an App on my tablet and phone called White Noise it has various noises that can be blended to suit you individually to help keep you asleep at night.  They have helped me get into a good sleep pattern again. 

I feel honoured to have shared this roller coaster ride with you so far and look forward to seeing you continue to regain your health and mental wellbeing. 

hugs and energy 
    Alice 
    xoxox
  • primek
    Thanks Alice
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    You may look different but you also look great! The curl will almost certainly diminish and I found that my hair got steadily less grey for nearly two years after it grew back. We'll watch this space but also will also be cheering you on. Best wishes
  • primek
    Thanks Afraser. 
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    You are looking terrific! You are so right to listen to your body and just take it one step at a time. As for getting fitter and healthier than you were prior to diagnosis, this is definitely doable and sounds like you are well on your way! Watching this space with confidence that you will achieve your goals!  :)
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Wow Kath you look amazing! You have been through so much already and the last surgery is within reach! You are slowly working your way to the new you and no doubt will continue to be even more fabulous as time goes on. Your determination shows through and inspires the rest of us to keep going on this wild roller coaster!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    You are an inspiration, Kath. And we can all do with more of those.
  • primek
    Thankyou. Trying is all we can do.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey Kath, Can I just say that from the photo you have posted you certainly don't look like you have a tight curl perm from the 90's - more of a swish modern pixie cut, and it suits you. I think your modifications to your fitness regime are so incredibly sensible as your energy bank will still be increasing in credit for a while to come so withdrawals of energy funds are very precious. I have only in the last two weeks started using a pedometer and I'm absolutely floored by my lack of movement some days so 7000 a day is brilliant, along with work and your other activities. I reckon you're powering!!! All the best. Xx Cath
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543

primek said:

I'm  slowly adjusting to my appearance change. I am delighted to have hair but with it's altered state , grey and curly from slight wave and brown, I just feel I look so different. People don't recognise me

So good health is returning...ever so slowly.
    I will be forever changed from this experience but I am determined to claim my life and energy back to where it was before treatment. In fact I'd like to believe I can be fitter and healthier both mentally and physically than I was before diagnosis. Watch this space.  :)

Kath in your photo you look fab and the expanders are not evident!  Such an important statement"...so good health is returning...ever so slowly..."  Woo hoo!  You're in a good place by the sound of it and just about over the final hurdle of changeover surgery.  Wishing you a quick recovery.

Take care
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @primek I am with @socoda that pixie cut suits you :)
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Great smile. Looks like ur on top of the world. I found all my after pics l was grinning with satisfaction. You have that look girl!
  • Lmc1310
    Lmc1310 Member Posts: 120
    You look absolutely fantastic - love your hair and very best wishes 
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    I too think you look great Kath! A lot of people are still remarking how much I look like my mother with my new curls. They are relaxing a bit now. So glad you are doing great. I have to keep reminding myself not to push too hard too soon. I've been back at work a month now. Started off two days a week then went to three, then last week, BAM hit with the fatigue stick again. Went to the dr today and have enlarged lymphs so she thought I was fighting something which is understandable since a lot of people at my work have been ill. I guess even after we finish treatment our immune systems may not be as recovered as we would like. So take it easy.

All the best, Nadine
  • primek
    @Nadi Yes I agree, you just have to back off a bit and rest. I've had to do this each time my hours went up.