1st consultation

Danielle49
Danielle49 Member Posts: 20
so .. here I am incidentally from being diagnosed on Friday from a full body CT scan after breaking my heel.. I'm on crutches plastered for another 4 weeks.  I got the call on Friday after waiting 3 weeks.... and lost it over the phone and had to pass the phone to friend ... Anyway I'm so scared as I have no idea what expect other than I'm meeting with 2 surgeons and the Dr who called me..  my lump was 9x9 mm deep in my right breast .. I couldn't feel it then but now I can .... ... I don't really know what to say other than I feel for all the People on here and look forward to sharing my journey on here, as people who haven't been diagnosed don't really know how it feels 

Comments

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Hi Danielle,  so glad you found us - we all know exactly how it feels, and there will always be support here for you when you need it.   The good news is that the full body scan picked it up so early - that is such a big plus as it is still small and can be treated quickly.  When you have seen the surgeons and have a treatment plan, you will feel much more in control.  Please don't go to Dr Google - come here instead, and send for your My Journey kit from BCNA - it is invaluable and tells you everything you need to know.  There is a section for your appointments/receipts/questions and you can read as much or as little as you want about treatments, etc.  When do you see the surgeons?  Try not to worry too much in the meantime, and come online if you need to talk.  One step at a time.  Big hug.  Michelle x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi Danielle - wow how good is that it was picked up because you broke your heel and they decided on a body scan!!  Yes it is a shock but also a positive as in it has been picked up early!  As Michelle has said the My Journey kit is free and it has a wealth of information and then there is all of us on here!  We will help you through so please come back and let us know.....Take care
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @Danielle49 it looks like the My Journey Kit is on it's way. If you don't receive it you can order it here.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Danielle,  sending you hugs and energy to cope with the next few weeks as you learn what is next. 

we are all happy for you to ask questions and we will share our own experiences and laugh and cry with you as the need arises. 
    Hugs 
    Alice 

• Danielle49
    Thank you so much ... 45 minutes and counting ......
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Hi Danielle, welcome and sorry you had to find yourself here...but glad you have joined us. This group has so much collective knowledge and experience.

The first weeks will seem surreal but as you gather your team together (breast surgeon, plastic surgeon, oncologist, breast care nurse), the plan will become clearer.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions...ask lots...write them down....because your team is there for you and you're in it together.

As your situation clarifies, we will be here to lend a supporting hand. Take care Nikki x
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @Danielle49 you are stronger than you realise. Hugs to you...

& as @Soldier Crab just said to me.... we got your back girl!!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi  @Danielle49 and a big welcome to you. Just thought I'd say it's ok to be scared totally shitless!! Its okay to have a huge cry, scream, rant, rave. It won't change anything but what a stress relief. And it does get better, things settle down, it becomes less scary and more doable. You are in the most frightening phase at the moment,  so draw on everyone here for strength, courage and support because we are all here for you, sending everything we can, to try and help you get through this. Big hug. Xx Cath
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Danielle49 I remember the times when it was each breathe I had to take to just make it to the next one, its ok to feel overwhelmed by your diagnosis and waiting is hell ..... I personally dont call it my Journey    it is my Roller coaster ride as I hate roller coasters.  
    Do you have a breast Care Nurse yet?  here is a link to see where you local one is 
    http://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

I have found my Breast Care nurse to be both supportive and informative they often know of support groups locally if you need it.  

we are here  to listen and to support you .... yes other people don't understand it but they are also trying to come to terms with your diagnosis. 

"be gentle with yourself" and  know you will get the information you need and your will be working for the best possible outcome for you. 

Hugs and energy 
    Alice aka Soldier crab
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited February 2017
    Wow what a lucky pick up with the scan. My sis in law had something similar, they picked up lesions on her kidney while having a scan looking for hernia pains. Bit of an operation, some radiation and she's been good ever since. Hopefully your treatment will be standard with no hiccups or nasty surprises. Make sure you take someone with you for all appointments. Two sets of ears are better than one and if you are feeling a little fragile the convo can continue with your support person. Write all your questions down. Dr's and your breast nurse will answer them. There's no mad crazy rush to get everything done, take your time to get used to things. We're all here for ya. <3
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    It's so scary at the beginning but so fantastic it's been found incidently whilst small. Great treatment options are awaiting you. Don't underestimate the benefits of a good cry. Yes it's  scary but you will find you are stronger than you ever believed you could be. Goodluck with your journey.
  • Danielle49
    Thank you so much for your heartfelt words they are so comforting
    They are 95% sure it's early stages invasive cancer.  I'm going in on Tuesday for mammogram ultrasound and blood test... Then another consultation to discuss outcome of that then lumpectomy lymph node removal on 14th March 
    somedays I wake up crying others feeling positive .. What a roller coaster this is 
    so happy to have found this website...through a BC survivor... I am in touch with 5 women who have been through it, all with varying degrees of Cancer ... I cannot believe how many of us are affected by this ...I know I am NOT ALONE thanks to all of you on here xxxxx thank you for keeping my spirits up 
    I would like to ask a question .. I have heard after surgery your arm is utterly useless and to follow the exercises ... How much time would i need to take off work ?! .. Silly question as it effects us all differently, but any answers would be appreciated
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    My arms were weak after but I had a bilateral mastectomy and tissue expander inserted so the chest wall muscles were cut. A lumpectomy wouldn't be like that. I had pushing and pulling issues initially but it quickly improved with the exercise. You will most likely be a bit numb under your arm from sentinal node biopsy and sore but your arms certainly won't be useless. The exercises help strengthen quickly and ensure scarring doesn't restrict movement. If a full node clearance I'm sure the recovery would be slower but that most likely wouldn't be happening this surgery unless they believe you have positive nodes already and they would have told you this if they thought that. You will feel so much better obce the surgery is done and you know the rest of your treatment plan. X
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    My physiotherapist told me in hospital there is nothing you can do in exercise to damage anything so just do my best with normal usage. Someone else said don't lift anything heavier than 5kg with it. I have all my underarm nodes removed and they were right, every time I start lifting anything more than 5kg I end up with pain and swelling in the arm. I've sorta gotten used to it and I put on a pressure sleeve is the arm doesn't seem to be righting itself. You just sort of learn to live with life's little challenges. My problem atm is I think chemo or tamoxifen has done something to my brain. I cannot now learn and remember a phone number to save myself yet older numbers I haven't forgotten.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Danielle, it is incredibly overwhelming and especially the way you found out, but what a blessing when you think about it. You are also right, nobody in your life will get it unless they have been through it or are going through  it. They will be supportive to a point, but Ive found this forum invaluable because we all GET IT! and all our collective experiences certainly will help absolutely! Only once you have the Lumpectomy and get pathology will you know exactly and precisely what you have and then you'll be told your treatment plan and at least then you will have some direction. Until then you are left floundering in confusion and disbelief and rightfully so! Ive been through this twice now in 6yrs 2011 and 2015 which was devastating 2nd time as I did everything to make sure it was gone. Its sneaky, and unexpected but have faith in your Team and above all else have faith in yourself that you will rise to the challenge and you SO WILL!!! and we'll all be here right behind you! Hugs Melinda xo