Letrozole and Milk Thistle

Ady
Ady Member Posts: 61
My Oncologist changed my tablets from Arimidex to Femara (I take the generic Letrozole) about 7 weeks ago as I was having lots of side effects on Arimidex. About the same time I started on Milk Thistle to help the liver but now have been reading it may not be the best thing to take while on the Letrozole. Does anyone else take this combination? I never mentioned it to the Oncologist the last appt. Now I wish I had. Would be interested in hearing fom others. Thanks Ady -)
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Some reports indicate that milk thistle can mimic the effects of oestrogen. Best to check with your oncologist.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi Ady, The Sloan Kettering Memorial Cancer Hospital in America has an app on herbs you can download & there is some information there on Milk Thistle but I would check with your Oncologist. Some herbs can interfere with chemotherapy & some are estrogenic.
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Hi Ady,

It's Lisa from the Policy Team. I am sorry to hear about the side effects you were having on Arimidex. I just wanted to jump in and suggest that you talk to your doctor or another member of your treatment team, as some herbs and botanicals can interfere with the effectiveness of breast cancer treatments.

Also, you may have seen our hormone therapy booklet already, but just in case you haven't, you can download it or order a free hard copy on our website. The booklet contains information and tips from other women about what may help manage the side effects of hormone therapy.

Best wishes,
    Lisa