Friday Update!

Options
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
edited November 2016 in Community news and events
Hi everyone and welcome to the Friday update.
This week we have 18 new members. Please help me welcome @caseymmcc, @susieq2, @breast65, @el46 and all our other new members.

Community highlights
Each week we have lots of different discussions take place in the online network. These can include questions, updates, celebrations and so much more. Here are some conversations this week you may have missed: Congratulations to our wonderful member Karen who completed a Certificate III in Fitness as part of BCNA’s partnership with Fernwood Fitness Foundation Scholarship Program! After being diagnosed with breast cancer Karen became passionate about the use of exercise to manage the side effects of treatment & reduce the risk of reoccurrence. Karen is excited to use her training to help other breast cancer survivors in the Darwin community. To read Karen's story click here.

News & events
  • Tamoxifen added to PBS for women at increased risk of breast cancer. To read more click here.
  • Do you know someone who has a disability and has been affected by breast cancer? BCNA would like to understand what information and support people with a disability who have breast cancer need. We also are interested in the breast cancer information and support needs of people who support people with a disability. To find out more information click here.
  • Newcastle Information Forum - Tuesday 11th October. To register click here

Our partners & supporters
BCNA is fortunate to have partners and supporters that help us ensure we deliver our programs and services free of charge to Australia's affected by breast cancer.

Florsheim has just released a new BCNA range of shoes for men and woman. Our Partnerships Coordinator, Zoe Jennings, tells us how this idea was born at one of our information forums.
When
I started working at BCNA in January, I got to know a few of our wonderful
volunteers and their sense of fashion when it comes to footwear. I thought it
would be great to have a beautiful, comfortable hot pink wedge for our lovely
ladies to wear to support and promote BCNA.

After
doing my research on the various shoe companies, I knew that Florsheim was the
best fit with BCNA and our members. A meeting was set up and we pitched the
idea. Florsheim immediately agreed. They were very generous and I knew it was
going to be an incredible partnership.

The
BCNA range recently launched in all Florsheim stores. There are six women’s and
three men’s shoes. The best part is that with every pair purchased, $40 is
donated to BCNA. This helps support our programs and services such as our
information forums, kits, and the online network. So head into any Florsheim
store to pick up your favourite pair!

For more information about our partnerships.

Active & wellness tip
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you
can!

Everyone is different so it is important to set
yourself realistic goals and to listen to your body, start excising at an
appropriate level for you. No
gym membership? No problem. Use basic items that are already have. Cans of food for
weights, walk up and down the stairs. Any
exercise is better than none and more is better than less so try and avoid
inactivity.

Here is a little inspiration leading into the weekend from our creative members of the online network
Have a lovely weekend,
Ann-Marie x

Comments

• SusieQ2
    SusieQ2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you for making me feel welcome, Ann-Marie!  Treatment was a very lonely and isolating experience for me and I wish that I had found this site earlier.  Just reading some of the posts here has given me an insight into other women going through the same thing and I don't feel so alone on this journey now.  Susie x
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My pleasure @SusieQ2 . I'm happy you have found us. We will be here for you along your journey xx