Reishi Mushroom

socoda
socoda Member Posts: 1,767
Hi everyone :)  Just thought I would pass on information about a mushroom that a Malaysian friend of mine told me about when he found out I was being treated for breast cancer. He told me it was very important I looked it up. So it is the Reishi Mushroom." It has been used to help enhance the immune system, reduce stress, improve sleep, and lessen fatigue. People also take reishi mushroom for health conditions such as: High blood pressure High cholesterol Cardiovascular disease Liver or kidney disease Respiratory diseases (such as asthma) Viral infections (such as the flu) HIV/AIDS Cancer and support during chemotherapy Pain during and after a shingles outbreak There is some scientific evidence of its effectiveness, including lab research and some small human studies. Researchers are beginning to look at the chemical makeup of this mushroom to better understand how and whether it really works for each of these conditions." If anyone wants to try it there is a Reishi mushroom powder available from            www.herbalconnections.com.au approx $33

Comments

• socoda
    Please do your research on this product if you are thinking of taking it and if in doubt refer it to your gp as there are side effects like possible lowering of blood pressure etc...
  • LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Thanks Socoda seems it's worth checking out. 
  • socoda
    Hi Lithgow1950, I think so too. All I know is that quite some time ago I was advised by someone that to reduce cholesterol levels (and mine were good cholesterol but they were too high) just take one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds per day. Did that - and my cholesterol reduced (doctor was pretty impressed and asked what I had been doing), so from that have become quite happy to try different things. Am going to order some of the powder and see how I go :) I don't expect it to produce miracles but even if it helps improve sleep that would be a bonus. 
    Will let you know the outcome. All the best Xx Cath
  • Ellie_BCNA
    Ellie_BCNA Member Posts: 10

Hi Socoda,

Thank you for your post on Reishi
    mushrooms. As you say, it is important to talk to your GP, and the rest of your
    cancer team, about any new medications or supplements you are thinking of
    using.

You might be interested to have a
    look at a couple of websites which have some helpful information about Reishi
    mushrooms. A recent Cochrane
    Review
    (a study that examines the evidence from many other studies to
    provide high quality, reliable information) has suggested that there might be
    some evidence that Reishi mushrooms may be more likely to improve a person’s
    response to chemotherapy.  

However, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre has a very
    reliable
    website
    that outlines information on a range of herbs, botanicals and other
    products and how they relate to cancer treatment. Their information states
    that Reishi mushroom may make some chemotherapy drugs less effective.

As there are still some questions
    about the safety and effectiveness of Reishi mushroom for cancer treatment, it
    is very important to talk to your cancer team if you are thinking of taking
    Reishi mushroom. Your cancer team will be able to give you information to help
    you make a decision about what might be helpful for you.

Thanks again for your post,

Ellie

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    HI all,
    I had 90 days of Reishi mushroom powder prior to my mastectomy in April. I checked with my oncologist and breast surgeon prior to taking it to ensure I wasn't doing anything that would counterindicate the medications I was on. 

It was expensive, but my naturopath raved about it. I gave it a go. Who knows whether or not it worked....but I was happy to include it in my regime. No side effects - other than the yucky taste when dissolved in water!

Nikki
  • socoda
    Hi ladies, I'm just glad that this has prompted some discussion. Thanks for those sites Ellie, will look them up. Nikki, shame it has to taste to yucky and interesting that your naturopath raved about it.  I'm lucky enough to not have had chemo so don't have to worry about that aspect of it but it certainly is helpful for others to know in relation to chemotherapy and not putting its effectiveness in jeopardy. Will be doing further research on it and referring it to my GP and team before I start. All the best Xx