uncomfortable prosthesis /bra

KarenS66
KarenS66 Member Posts: 17
edited September 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi there lovely peeps,  have wanted to post sooo many blogs but when I start just battle to put words to paper so to speak, but now am at my wits end - first off I have to admit I have always hated bras find them restrictive on a good day and have tried many, now as I have had only one boob removed there is no way of just dressing to disguise no bra - I had a fitting for my prosthesis and bought it together with what appeared to be the most comfortable bra - -it appears I had quite a lot removed so have been left with a huge "dent" so have a bigger than needed prosthesis to fill the gap which weighs a ton - after an hour in my "contraption" I am soooo uncomfortable it feels like it is putting so much pressure on my breast bone or top of my rib cage - then I also have a bulge under my armpit where the nodes were removed which is irritated by the bra strap. Have since bought a different bra - same result what am I doing wrong????

My big dilemma is that I have signed up for the 6 week yoga through the cancer council - what to wear ???? so I am not ridiculously uncomfortable - also worried about doing it with the picc line in my arm - am so tempted right now to just cancel I am so shy and hugely self conscious ??

Any and all advise welcome please ??

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited June 2016

I have noticed many sports bras that have internal  moulded shapes that can be removed. Also things like aah bras...that can be bought now at chain stores sometimes have padding in. This means you could put soft additional padding in the pocket. Did you get a soft prostheses form with your berlei bra? There are also knitted knockers...just light forms that can go in a bra and I read on here a lady who used a sock and filled it with rice as it was much lighter. I know you feel self conscious but do go to the yoga class....remember those ladies do know and are probably experiencing something similar. Keep trying until something feels right for you.

• emmyp
    emmyp Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2016

Hi Karen, 

Don't give up! The yoga classes are really wonderful. You can order totally free a knited prothesis from awesomebreastforms.org.  These are nice and light and might be nicer for exercising.  Bras and Things have a new range of wire free bras which I have found quite good.  How long ago was your surgery?  Mine was about 12 months ago and sometimes I find that the strap still irriates that side.  It takes a bit of getting used to wearing a bra again.  

Good luck with everything. Emma Xx

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016

I have just purchased a Perfect Again prosthesis. As I wear a large bra size this prosthesis is 600 grams lighter than my other prosthesis.

To me it feels the same weight when I wear it and also I had a large area to fill and am more than happy.

Also When I did yoga recently I wore a light bra for my other side and nothing on the other with a patterned thirty over it.  In realty no one looks or cares as long as you are comfortable.

• sgwaterhouse
    sgwaterhouse Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016

I am 3 weeks post right MX normally size 14D and have been wearing the Amoena Valletta Mastectomy Top (which is available online) with the soft form you get from the BCNA after surgery and if I want more coverage for exercise I have a lorna jane alba t-shirt over the top which is very light.

• KarenS66
    edited June 2016

Thank you so much xxx

• KarenS66
    edited June 2016

Thanks Emma - had my surgery 11 feb this year - thanks for the advice have ordered the knitted prosthesis ??

• KarenS66
    edited June 2016

Yes you are right I am sure if I wear a loose tshirt I will be comfortable and as you say nobody will care ??

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited June 2016

http://www.erilan.com.au/collections/mastectomy-prostheses

Lots of soft forms you could choose from and adjust stuffing and their front closure bras are very comfortable too.

• emmyp
    emmyp Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2016

Oh great! I hope it helps Xx