2 years

Cook65
Cook65 Member Posts: 733
edited April 2016 in Health and wellbeing

Hi Everyone

well today marks 2 years since I was diagnosed with grade 1, stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, her+, hormone negative. I went through lumpectomy, 6 months of chemo (better known as hell), 33 radiotherapy sessions and 12 months of herceptin.  I can't believe how much I have enough through, how much I survived and I'm out on the other side. Life has changed, I have changed but I think probably for the better in many ways. I remember thinking that I would never get through this. It felt like forever at the time but now I can't believe how quickly it has gone. i still have days when I struggle, I still have days that I cry or get angry or I am so tired I feel like I could sleep for a month but I have so many more days when I feel grateful for the care I received. I feel determined to enjoy life more and choose to be happy.  So for all of you going through this awful process, just know that there is an end in site, you can be happy, you can feel ok again. You may not be the same at the end of the process but that's ok too. 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2016

Thankyou Cook65. Bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction, midway through chemo and still so much to go seems overwhelming...this gives me hope. I have a long way yet but determined to see this through. Her2 + Es + stage 1, grade 3 diagnosed Dec 3015. Thanks 

Kath

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited April 2016

February was my 2 year mark and it is hard to believe that we are on the other side. Life is different but it is great to be here and yes I agree with your definition of chemo is hell..

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited April 2016

Hi what a journey thus far! Woo hoo you're through the worst of it. Good on you! Thanks for the post and reflection of how you've coped and reminder that we will be okay.

Take care and I wish you more happy times and less tiredness 

Christine xx 

• airlie
    airlie Member Posts: 80
    edited April 2016

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

So happy for you. ??

I am 1/3 through chemo and it is so daunting and so bloody hard at times.

Great for us to hear there really is light at the end of this. 

Hugs Airlie ?? 

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    edited April 2016

Congratulations!!!! I have the same IDC grade1 stage 3, Her2+ and hormone negative. Somedays I worry I won't be able to get through it or make it to 2 years, but your post has really encouraged me. Thank you

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited April 2016

Its my two year mark in a couple of weeks. Life is fantastic no complaints from me as i know it can be much worse. Good to hear i am not the only one that feels tired at times. I have days with endless amounts of energy and other days i am tired first thing in the morning. Not sure whether interrupted sleep as a result of hot flushes is thr culprit.

Take care 

Maryrose 

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    edited April 2016

Yay, so very happy for you.  Every day further away from diagnosis and treatment is a cause for celebration!!!

Paula xxx

• Cook65
    edited April 2016

Hi Kath,

im so pleased that my post gave you some hope. It really does seem never ending whilst you are going through it. Hang in there. Karen xox

• Cook65
    edited April 2016

Definitely great to be here Rowdy! Xox

• Cook65
    edited April 2016

Thanks Christine xox

• Cook65
    edited April 2016

My pleasure Airlie. It's a hard road we travel down but most of us get their in the end. All the best Karen xox

• Cook65
    edited April 2016

I'm so glad my post gives so many some hope when they feel like it's never ending. Christine, I just don't know how your daughter managed with littlies and all of the rest of it. She must be an incredible strong girl. We have an awful lot to be grateful for and proud of our fortitude to get through it.