Rads finished, what next ?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
edited September 2016 in Day to day

Hi Everyone, finished my last radiation appointment today. All the staff at radiation unit were so lovely, cuddles and well wishes all around, including my radiation oncologist and the breast care nurse. What a wonderful bunch of people, as they must deal with such sick people and see dreadful illnesses, however all of them are so kind and gentle, and explain your treatment so well. It was like saying goodbye to a family. My husband and I had a 5 hour drive back to home, and talked about the funny feeling of moving forward into the new normal. It's actually not seemed real a lot of the time, dealing with surgery, chemo and radiation. I'll be starting on Arimidex tomorrow, so that will be interesting. Luckily, I have my art to keep me moving forward with a couple of commissions to complete, also I'll be helping people with writing resumes and application letters from home. It's a good start. I have cording in my armpit and am in the process of seeing a physio to break that up. My lovely hubby has also paid for me to see a personal trainer, so that I can work on becoming fit and well again. What a year ! BCNA has been such a comfort to me, and I have made connections with members that have made a great difference to my self esteem and attitude. Thanks and big cuddles to you all, just remember you are all awesome, Trace ????????

Tagged:

Comments

• maryroset1
    maryroset1 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2015

Congratulations on finishing your treatment its a wonderful feeling when its finally all over isnt it?

They certainly are special people arent they? I had my radio at peter mac box hill and they took such good care of me especially the nurses who dressed my burns each day. They are so caring and truly inspirational 

All the very best and take good care of you.??????

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Thanks Maryrose, that's really lovely. Will go out for breakfast as a celebration with my hubby tomorrow, then a quiet walk along the riverbank. I'm a bit sore, however it mends in time. Warmest wishes, Trace ????

• Arleene
    Arleene Member Posts: 238
    edited September 2015

Hi Trace,

Congratulations on finishing your treatment, it really must feel amazing I'm just at the beginning of my journey but I am feeling inspired I have lost all my hair now but I am actually okay with it, it's just hair and it will grow back eventually and I can't wait to see what colour or straight or curly. Angelena said to me last night she thinks I'm beautiful on the inside and beautiful on the outside and if a 9 year old can see that then that inspires me and makes me feel all that we go through is all worth it, you're kind words have always given me hope and inspiration since I started my journey as you are always so kind and compassionate I'm starting to think of what to do post treatment myself now I still have a long way to go but I am strong enough to think that far ahead now, if my friends can't deal with me the way I am now then that's their problem not mine I am still me and I have lots of other support from family, friends, my medical team and other people around me but I do worry about my husband as he seems to be not telling me something is bothering him his work mates are very worried about him I think as they are calling him and trying to get him to open up to them which I think he does but I think it's hard for him how do I approach it with him? I love him so much and I don't want him to be in pain and feel so helpless, I think it's wonderful how your husband is organising a personal trainer for you so that you can start to become fit and well again and you have so many awesome plans and ways to help people and BCNA has become a big part of my life too, the company and inspiration you receive from everybody is amazing well I hope to hear from you soon you inspire me, sending you a big cuddle and a huge smile and lots of positive energy Anita xx???????????????

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited September 2015

Hi Trace it is a good feeling to finish active treatment another milestone.Great for you to be home in your own space and try and get back into some sort of new normal. Your painting must give you so much pleasure, you are so lucky to have such a gift. Good luck with your training, don't go in too hard, you need to take care of yourself.

Sending you a hug and a laughxx

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Hi Anita, good to hear from you, sounds like you're working your way through your treatment in a positive way. Your daughter sounds lovely, what a gem. Sometimes when I want to have a difficult conversation, I write him a letter voicing my concerns, telling him how much I love him, and asking him to make time to talk about things. He might be just concerned for you, and can't do anything to fix it, as men are fix it people. I hope that you get a chance to talk and sort out what is bothering him. I've been advised by the rads staff to take my time over the next couple of weeks, and rest when I'm tired, so I'll take their advice and do just that. It's lovely to be home. Sending you a big cuddle right back, Trace ??????

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Hi Rowdy, you're one of my inspirations, with such good advice and support for all members on the network. I will take my time over the next couple of weeks and try to settle into whatever happens next. Love  and laughter with you, Trace ??????????

• Rosemaryc
    Rosemaryc Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015

Tracey,

Congratulations for finishing treatment and hope Arimidex won't be a problem. Is it a kind of hormone therapy? How long do you need it? 

Good that you are moving forward with arts and exercise. All good for our spirit and wellbeing. Let us know how you are travelling.

Hope you enjoy your breakfast with your husband today and celebrate well.  Hugs. ????????

Rosemary

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited September 2015

Well done Tracey ,time to rest up ,I found the finishing of radio was quite emotional too. No more appointments and that frequent people around you feeling. Happy times but strange feeling times. I wish I rested a little more after ,I do agree you tend to feel a little flat after the fact. My husband was concerned about how long before the next check up was as he found me being in the system constantly was a bit of a safety net. When all my burns healed I gave away all my creams and eventually got rid of the post surgery bra, another milestone. Isn't it amazing looking at where you began and where you are now, well done hope it's up and up for you. Regards adean 

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Hi Rosemary, thanks for your support. My tumours were oestrogen reactive, so the oncologist has started me on Arimidex, which is an oestrogen suppressant. I've been advised that I might get stiffness in my joints as a side effect, also I'll have to take calcium and Vitamin D. I'm booked in for a bone scan, and may need to go onto some sort of osteoporosis supplement depending on the results of the scan. I'll have to take Arimidex for the next 5 years, so hopefully all goes well. Big hugs, Trace ??????

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Thanks Adean, I'm trying not to think about the what if and how many check ups. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time, as that helps me to think more positively. Well done for tossing out that post surgery bra, I'm looking forward to getting to that stage. Warmest wishes, Trace ??????

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    edited September 2015

Congratulations on finishing. Well done, it's a hard road at times but you seem to have travelled it gracefully. Rest up and be kind to yourself. Don't rush into the training. Slowly does it. 

Hugs. 

Paula xx

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    edited September 2015

Hi Tracey, so great to hear that you have finished radiation, and I can understand that bitter sweet moment of saying goodbye to those people who have looked after you so well during your treatment. The kindness and generosity of people you meet along the way help to make the whole ordeal bearable, and now when I think back to the chemo and radiation days I can smile and remember those people who were so kind and caring.

That's great that you are seeing a physio about your cording and lymphodema, they can make such a positive difference to how well and how quickly you recover. The physios I've seen since treatment have greatly helped me self-manage my lymphodema (as much as possible), helped me with core strengthening exercises to regain my balance (didn't realise just how off balance I was after my mastectomy!) and advised me on the type of exercises I needed to do to slowly recover my strength and mobility.

Best of luck starting on the Arimidex, I hope it goes well for you, and keep posting your amazing artwork! Jane xx  

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Thank you, I'm just going to take it 1 day at a time. My hubby has pumped up the tyres on my road bike, and knocked the cobwebs off it as well LOL. Will pace it as I feel able. Sending you a hug ????

• [Deleted User]
    edited September 2015

Hi Jane, thanks for your support, we have a great network don't we. I'm very keen to get started, with so many thoughts going through my head. I said to my hubby this morning that I have so much yo do, but am a bit muddled as to what order to do it in. I'm sure that I'll figure it out eventually LOL. The good weather the last couple of days puts everyone in a positive mood. Keep smiling, sending you a cuddle, Trace ??????

• Rosemaryc
    Rosemaryc Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015

Hi Tracey

Hope the side effects are controllable by exercise and diet and supplements. All the best. 

Let me know how you go with you bone scan.

Pray that they are strong enough. ??