The beginning of my BC Journey

LindaN
LindaN Member Posts: 33
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

So hard to believe how your whole world can be turned upside down in one Dr's consultation.  Breast Cancer...me????  It still seems unbelievable.  Over the past 12 days I have been through the barrage of Mamograms, biopsies, Research programme, MRI, CT scans, blood tests.  The bone scan to go and then in 2 more days I will be sitting in the Surgeons office for the first time to finally be informed of what I am really facing.  I have been through a roller coaster of emotions, sad, scared, disbelief but am so blessed to have so much wonderful family and friends that love and support me.  I feel resigned that there is no point stressing...it is what it is.  I will be incredibly relieved if the surgeon's reports it is only what I have already been advised:

6.5cm mass and 6mm lump in right breast only and lymph nodes all positive for cancer.  I will love my life and treat myself with all the love and respect I deserve.  Deep breath...for today I will just breathe.

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the online network Linda:) This place,as you are about to discover,is the best place ever,for support and advice,as you begin and navigate your way through the Breast cancer experience.It is something that none of us wanted,but these days,in this wonderful country,BC is very treatable.Most ladies go on to live long,healthy lives.I was diagnosed 16 months ago.I have had a mastectomy and chemo,and I have never felt better!!!The best advice that I can give you at the moment,is to take things ONE DAY AT A TIME.Be guided by your doctors,because even though we have a lot in common,every one of us has a different diagnosis.Some things the same,some things not.Stay in touch on here as there is always someoneonline to chat to or ask advice of.All the best Linda.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to the online network Linda:) This place,as you are about to discover,is the best place ever,for support and advice,as you begin and navigate your way through the Breast cancer experience.It is something that none of us wanted,but these days,in this wonderful country,BC is very treatable.Most ladies go on to live long,healthy lives.I was diagnosed 16 months ago.I have had a mastectomy and chemo,and I have never felt better!!!The best advice that I can give you at the moment,is to take things ONE DAY AT A TIME.Be guided by your doctors,because even though we have a lot in common,every one of us has a different diagnosis.Some things the same,some things not.Stay in touch on here as there is always someoneonline to chat to or ask advice of.All the best Linda.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • LindaN
    edited March 2015

Thanks for your encouragment and support Robyn.  So nice to be able to connect with others who are going through a similar journey.  It doesn't feel so alone.  I will be releived to get the official grading, at least knowing what I am dealing with I'm hoping will feel better than the agony of the dreaded wait.

Lovely to hear from you.  Linda xxx

• Jecca
    Jecca Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Hi Linda,
    I am just a couple of steps in front of you. I was diagnosed on the 21st of jan, had that whirlwind of tests, where your head never really stops spinning, and you are still thinking really, me??
    I have now had surgery and start chemo on the 6th of March. Feel very overwhelmed by it all.
    Any time you want to chat let me know. My knowledge and experienced is very very limited, but I have a fair idea how you are feeling!
    Look after yourself.
    Jecca
  • Jecca
    Jecca Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Hi Linda,
    I am just a couple of steps in front of you. I was diagnosed on the 21st of jan, had that whirlwind of tests, where your head never really stops spinning, and you are still thinking really, me??
    I have now had surgery and start chemo on the 6th of March. Feel very overwhelmed by it all.
    Any time you want to chat let me know. My knowledge and experienced is very very limited, but I have a fair idea how you are feeling!
    Look after yourself.
    Jecca
  • LindaN
    edited March 2015

Thanks so much for your support Jecca.  It's lovely to know there are others who do understand some of the whirlwind that goes on in your life after diagnosis. 

Good luck with your chemo journey in March.  BC is something that nothing can really prepare you for... it does help hearing from others who have come out the other side.  

Take care of yourself too.

Linda :)

• LindaN
    edited March 2015

Thanks so much for your support Jecca.  It's lovely to know there are others who do understand some of the whirlwind that goes on in your life after diagnosis. 

Good luck with your chemo journey in March.  BC is something that nothing can really prepare you for... it does help hearing from others who have come out the other side.  

Take care of yourself too.

Linda :)

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

It is definitely a rollercoaster of emotions, the waiting for results seem endless. I was diagnosed Oct 2013, lumpectomy, chemo & radiation followed. I am now back working and feeling pretty good. They have lots of treatment options these days. Sounds like you have family and good friends to support you, that's great. When you see your surgeon at least you will have a plan. This website is great for advice and there is always someone on here who will help. All the best for whatever lays ahead, keep in touch,

Hazel xx

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

I am so sorry you have to join us, but you will always have support here.  We know what you are going through and feeling.  It is a long tunnel, but everything goes very quickly once your treatment plan is in place.  As Robyn said, take one day at a time - you will not get overwhelmed - and life is about to get very busy.

Don't forget to buy yourself a big file cover and plastic sleeves and keep copies of everything - your Pathology reports, appointments, drug schedules, any questions, side effects, receipts, etc.  Do you have your My Journey kit yet?  It is invaluable for information and support. 

I am 2 years past treatment now and like Robyn, feel very well.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, Linda - stay in touch and let us know how you are going.  xxx Michelle

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

I am so sorry you have to join us, but you will always have support here.  We know what you are going through and feeling.  It is a long tunnel, but everything goes very quickly once your treatment plan is in place.  As Robyn said, take one day at a time - you will not get overwhelmed - and life is about to get very busy.

Don't forget to buy yourself a big file cover and plastic sleeves and keep copies of everything - your Pathology reports, appointments, drug schedules, any questions, side effects, receipts, etc.  Do you have your My Journey kit yet?  It is invaluable for information and support. 

I am 2 years past treatment now and like Robyn, feel very well.  There is light at the end of the tunnel, Linda - stay in touch and let us know how you are going.  xxx Michelle

• Avni
    Avni Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015

Hi Linda,

As am new to the group and site too, I can still understand your emotions. In Oct 2014 I was dignosed with Breast cancer and which has spread to my bone via lymph nodes and has caused a small compression fracture on my spine.

Have been through 4 biopsies, 14 taxol chemos, 2 pet scans and much more. I have just one last Chemo to go and then we move on to herceptin for a year and more. 

Life has changed and for you too it will change. But its all on the positive side. We will start looking and valuing life way different. My major set back was letting my wait lenght hair go, but then I made my mind much stronger went and got bald. That  changed me completely. I love my new self and cant wait for them to grow back. 

My advice, just relax and dont stress. Just keep you thoughts positive and in no time all this will be a past for a beautiful tomorrw. 

Love Avni

• LindaN
    edited March 2015

Hi Michelle

Thanks so much for your kind response.  It is encouraging to hear these positive stories of women who have already journeyed through this and have come out the other side :)  I will feel more comfortable once the surgeon has graded me and given me the type.  Knowing what you are in for is better than thinking of all the unknown possibilitiesor just knowing what it truely is.  I'm nearly there.  I have a bone scan tomorrow and then in the surgeons office the following morning.  As I'm going through the Public Health system I'm hoping there won't be too much delay from here.

Really appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks for the advice on keeping everything together in a folder.  I shall sort that out quickly.  I'll stay in touch and will try to keep positive until Weds mornings appt.

Love Linda x

• LindaN
    edited March 2015

Hi Avni!

So nice to hear from you.  It sounds like you have been on an absolute whirlwind of a time since your diagnosis last year!  I am interested to hear how yours travelled through lymph nodes to your bones.  I have been having alot of  back pain over last few months, had physio etc but nothing helped it.  They did a scan a few weeks back before discovering BC, so were looking at discs only and said I had 2 slipped discs.  I still have the back pain so have been curious as to whether it is in any way related to the BC.  I have my bone scan tomorrow and then surgeons appt following day to receive full diagnosis of grading and type and treatment plan.  Are  you in pain with your back?  Has the treatmet helped with the back at all?

I know what you mean about how all your perspectives in life change.  My family are all feeling that I think.  I finished up my client load at work today and will only work as I am able but with a non client load.  That was a biggie for me.  I have to focus on getting better from here on in.  My hairdreser dyed my hair a bright colour this last week as I know that after this I will take control and cut it short before the chemo takes the lot.  I'm trying to think of ways I can funk up my head with no hair! 

You sound so brave for alll you have been through.  October is only 4 months back so you seem to be really positive for this early in the journey.  Thanks for your inspiration.  I will be thinking all the positive thoughts from here on in.

Love Linda x

• LindaN
    edited March 2015

Hi Avni!

So nice to hear from you.  It sounds like you have been on an absolute whirlwind of a time since your diagnosis last year!  I am interested to hear how yours travelled through lymph nodes to your bones.  I have been having alot of  back pain over last few months, had physio etc but nothing helped it.  They did a scan a few weeks back before discovering BC, so were looking at discs only and said I had 2 slipped discs.  I still have the back pain so have been curious as to whether it is in any way related to the BC.  I have my bone scan tomorrow and then surgeons appt following day to receive full diagnosis of grading and type and treatment plan.  Are  you in pain with your back?  Has the treatmet helped with the back at all?

I know what you mean about how all your perspectives in life change.  My family are all feeling that I think.  I finished up my client load at work today and will only work as I am able but with a non client load.  That was a biggie for me.  I have to focus on getting better from here on in.  My hairdreser dyed my hair a bright colour this last week as I know that after this I will take control and cut it short before the chemo takes the lot.  I'm trying to think of ways I can funk up my head with no hair! 

You sound so brave for alll you have been through.  October is only 4 months back so you seem to be really positive for this early in the journey.  Thanks for your inspiration.  I will be thinking all the positive thoughts from here on in.

Love Linda x

• LindaN
    edited March 2015

Hi Hazel

Thanks so much for your support and encouragment.  I have passed my client load onto other colleagues today in order to be able to focus on getting better.  I can still work  but in a non client load capacity part time as I feel I can.  Its good to hear of your story and how you have come through so well.  I'm just hanging out to meet with the surgeon and get full diagnosis and treatment plan.  Bone scan tomorrow and next day I'm there.

I'll stay in touch.

love Linda x