Re-excision

Karensky
Karensky Member Posts: 11
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi all

I have been a silent participant in the online network so far - really valuing the insight and experience of those who are further on the breast cancer journey (more like a magical mystery tour) than I am. 

I am in my 50's and was diagnosed in February.  I had a wide local excision in March for 25mm Gr 2 IDC and 26 mm DCIS and have now had advice of a positive margin which involves a very small amount of DCIS.  I have elected to go for a re-excision and that will not happen till late May. 

I know I am lucky as I have no node involvement and no metastases but I still feel anxious about the delays and the impact on my family.

I run my own business and am the sole earner.  It is so hard to know what to say to my clients - will I be available in May or not?  Will I be available in June/July or not? 

I have been inspired by the posts I read on this network and I hope that by reaching out I can both contribute to others and hear words that can help me get through this OK.

Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    It is such a frustrating time because of the waiting,but my advice would be to wait,until you know exactly what is happening,until you say too much.Your test results sound pretty good,so hopefully you won't be out of action much at all.Stay on this network,because it really can help you through times like this. Take care.xoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    It is such a frustrating time because of the waiting,but my advice would be to wait,until you know exactly what is happening,until you say too much.Your test results sound pretty good,so hopefully you won't be out of action much at all.Stay on this network,because it really can help you through times like this. Take care.xoxRobyn
  • mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015

This is tricky to plan and in retrospect i was pleased how i did it at my one place of employment--ie kept it to myself until i processed it by taking some sick leave and then organising radiation in am and therefore only being an hour late--sick leave --and taking planned annual leave which i felt would be less disruptive to workplace

with my own employment i did let people who refer to me know that i was having medical treatment and would need time off; but in retrospect i would have delayed it a bit as no doubt it has affected business which im ok with as ive got other p/t paid but if i was soley reliant than that would have been not so good;  i didnt go into details of illness and what treatment and i would repeat that again; but in retrospect would wait until i have plan and double self care and 'plan' leave rather than run self down etc

best wishes

• Karensky
    edited March 2015

Thank you, both of you.  I am feeling a bit better today - it helps just to share these feelings, espcially about how to deal with the uncertainty in my work planning.  I did let immediate clients know I have BC when I was first diagnosed but was really upbeat about it - "Oh, I have been diagnosed with BC, but it's all good....."  and tried to be accurate about how and when I would return to jobs (a bit naive really). But then I started working again too early after surgery and had really poor concentration and inability to complete tasks which was difficult.  In retrospect I should have told people I would be out of action for longer but I am also worried about losing clients.  I guess my other worry was about the delay to radiotherapy with the delay in having the re-excision.   I can't do anything about it so I have decided to treat the next month as a hiatus that allows me to recover and do a bit of work before I have surgery again.  I was not looking forward to radiotherapy anyway so happy to wait a bit longer for that.   Did you find radiation made you tired?  Was it better having it in the morning?  Cheers

• Karensky
    edited March 2015

Thank you, both of you.  I am feeling a bit better today - it helps just to share these feelings, espcially about how to deal with the uncertainty in my work planning.  I did let immediate clients know I have BC when I was first diagnosed but was really upbeat about it - "Oh, I have been diagnosed with BC, but it's all good....."  and tried to be accurate about how and when I would return to jobs (a bit naive really). But then I started working again too early after surgery and had really poor concentration and inability to complete tasks which was difficult.  In retrospect I should have told people I would be out of action for longer but I am also worried about losing clients.  I guess my other worry was about the delay to radiotherapy with the delay in having the re-excision.   I can't do anything about it so I have decided to treat the next month as a hiatus that allows me to recover and do a bit of work before I have surgery again.  I was not looking forward to radiotherapy anyway so happy to wait a bit longer for that.   Did you find radiation made you tired?  Was it better having it in the morning?  Cheers