Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Helping Mum

Helpingmum
Helpingmum Member Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

Hi Everybody

I posted a few weeks ago about my 81 year old mother who had been diagnosed with HER2 positive (hormone negative) breast cancer.  She had a left breast mastectomy on 8 January.  We have been to the oncologist and after a lot of tests, we were told today that she has secondaries in her lungs.  I am gutted. 

She has gone from an early breast cancer diagnosis to advanced breast cancer in the blink of an eye.  He is going to treat her with chemo and Herceptin and is very optomistic that she will respond well to it and will be treating her for "a long time to come".  Of course my brain is running away and saying what if she doesn't respond. 

I know I won't have her forever but would like a few more quality years with her.  Has anyone had this type of diagnosis and had success with Herceptin.  We are hoping she starts treatment on Tuesday and I know it is going to be a hard road for her. 

I look at her and can't believe she has cancer as she looks so well.  Any comments/suggestions of ways to help her would be appreciated.  I am my elderly parents main support system and like most elderly people, they don't want to accept outside help.  Thank you in advance

Comments

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015

Hi and welcome to this network.

I understand that this is a very difficult time for you.  It is never easy to deal with the shock of finding out that a loved one has cancer.  It would seem that you are a good support for your parents and they will need you now.  It seems to me that you will be in need of support so you can continue to be there for your mum.  I would suggest that you use this forum as much as you need to and we will do all we can to provide support to you.

Take care

Lorraine xx

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015

Hi and welcome to this network.

I understand that this is a very difficult time for you.  It is never easy to deal with the shock of finding out that a loved one has cancer.  It would seem that you are a good support for your parents and they will need you now.  It seems to me that you will be in need of support so you can continue to be there for your mum.  I would suggest that you use this forum as much as you need to and we will do all we can to provide support to you.

Take care

Lorraine xx

• Helpingmum
    edited March 2015
    Thank you Lorraine. My mother hasn't been offered any sort of support to date. She is such a strong lady. I pray that she responds to the treatment like her oncologist thinks she will.
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    This would have come as a terrible shock,but from what I have read,older women can live for many ,many years with secondaries.I think as with any treatment,diagnosis,age,general health are taken into consideration.Your Mum sounds really well,as most of us are when diagnosed,and there is no reason why she shouldn't do well with the treatment prescribed for her.I would say just listen and be guided by your doctor.They are the ones that really know the facts.Take care and please let is know how your Mum is going.xoxoRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    This would have come as a terrible shock,but from what I have read,older women can live for many ,many years with secondaries.I think as with any treatment,diagnosis,age,general health are taken into consideration.Your Mum sounds really well,as most of us are when diagnosed,and there is no reason why she shouldn't do well with the treatment prescribed for her.I would say just listen and be guided by your doctor.They are the ones that really know the facts.Take care and please let is know how your Mum is going.xoxoRobyn
  • Helpingmum
    edited March 2015

Thanks Robyn for your kind words.  They are really appreciated when you feel like you are a bit out in the wilderness.