Breast Cancer Network Australia top 5 advocacy priorities

Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
edited May 2018 in Community news and events
Hello
Breast Cancer Network Australia have identified 5 advocacy priorities for 2018.  These will be the 5 key areas on our agenda this year and where our focus and energies will be directed.  Please see link below for further information
https://www.bcna.org.au/about-us/advocacy/
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Fantastic. Well done everyone!
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,190
    Thanks for that @Giovanna_BCNA, so great to see BCNA working hard in all of these areas.
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Great to see these crucially important priorities. Can we also ensure the needs of regional rural and remote women get a priority -there are so many women who experience significant medical social issues and lack of access to quality and timely care as many women on this network can attest.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Giovanna_BCNA it is all well and good to advocate for greater access to breast care nurses for people with metastatic breast cancer. What about when they fob you off because you don't  live near them? That has been my experience. 
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Hi @MoiraC, the needs of rural and remote women and men are definitely a major focus for BCNA in all our advocacy work. Our State of the Nation report, which is being launched in June definitely highlights the unmet needs of those in rural and remote areas. A recent example of this is our advocacy regarding timely access to breast reconstruction focused on the particular issues for women in far north Queensland. We will keep you posted regarding the State of the nation project (which many of you would have contributed to  through participating in our member survey or face to face consultations).
  • MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Great thanks for that info -great to see this issue getting traction
  • Paulamarie
    Paulamarie Member Posts: 6
    Good to see great work.  The financial burden is a good cause. I know with my journey I have had to try and keep working, as I am a sole parent with only the one income. Keeping a roof over our heads has been my focus through this. I have done 6 months chemo, just completed surgery. Now awaiting a radiation date. I took 2 weeks of for surgery and is been so good not to worry about getting up to work. Back to normal next week. I know there would be so many women out there who would be doing the same? 
  • ShellSurfing
    ShellSurfing Member Posts: 16
    Such positive moves @Giovanna_BCNA,
    Just an input on the Chronic Disease Management plan and recent headlines about exercise should be prescribed.
    When I recently went to see my GP about access to an exercise program under the Chronic Disease Management plan you have had to have the illness for 6 months, hopefully this can be something that is changed/reduced with the new studies about chemo and exercise.
    As I have never been sick prior to my diagnosis, technically it means I have to wait 6 months to access the benefit of reduced fees for getting assistance to have an exercise program developed for me.
    From reading all the exercise articles and studies about the benefits of exercise - I would like to do this when I start my chemo - not 6 months into my treatment - hence for me, this is now another out of pocket expense for me and possibly others who have had no illness before this.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Good idea @ShellSurfing.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @ShellSurfing, @Fiona_BCNA
    Thank you for letting me know, I actually did not know that there was a qualifying period of 6 months re the exercise program.  I have copied Fiona from BCNA into this thread for her input regarding exercise programs.
    In the interim you may like to look at some of the other programs available in NSW, I have attached the link below
    https://www.bcna.org.au/health-wellbeing/physical-wellbeing/exercise-and-staying-fit/exercise-programs/#nsw
  • Fiona_BCNA
    Fiona_BCNA Member Posts: 75
    Hello @ShellSurfing

Thank you for letting us know this information. I too, was unaware there was a qualifying period of 6 months. I have had a look into this and the Department of Health website states that:

A chronic medical condition is one that has been (or is likely to be)
    present for six months or longer
    , for example, asthma, cancer,
    cardiovascular disease, diabetes, musculoskeletal conditions and stroke.
    There is no list of eligible conditions; however, the CDM items are
    designed for patients who require a structured approach, including those
    requiring ongoing care from a multidisciplinary team.

Whether a patient is eligible for CDM services is a clinical judgement
    for the GP, taking into account the patient’s medical condition and care
    needs, as well as the general guidance set out in the MBS.

Breast cancer clearly fits under this banner as it is a medical condition that is likely to be present for six months or longer and is actually stated as an example in this description. It does however go on to explain that a patients eligibility is the GPs decision. I would suggest possibly seeing another GP and discussing your options further. 

Please feel free to get in touch if you would like any further information. My email is [email protected]

• ShellSurfing
    ShellSurfing Member Posts: 16
    Thanks @Fiona_BCNA will show that info to my GP