Stopping medication

NolaJS
NolaJS Member Posts: 11
edited February 2018 in General discussion
Hello, I am now 10 years cancer free, thank God, and have now been seen by my Oncologist for the final time. He also said that I can now stop Arimidex. Whilst I am happy to have these results (thus saving $$$) I also feel nervous about stopping everything. Is this a normal reaction?
Tagged:

Comments

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Hi @NolaJS, congratulations being 10 years cancer free . It's what we all hope for and I think it's totally natural to feel the way you do.  I'm only very new to Arimidex and started on it in December when I finished all my treatment, so I've a way to go yet. You'll be fine. Wishing you all the best for a long healthy life.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi @NolaJS
    it is very normal to be nervous about the fact you have come to end of term... and end of seeing the Oncologist it feels let you have been let out to float.... 
    I am the same 5yrs out from TNBC and I have been set free to float.... 

hugs 
    Soldiercrab

• Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106

Yes I think this is a completely normal reaction.
    I'm at 4 and a half years - currently on Arimidex and although it gives me a few issues with joint pain I'm terrified of stopping at 5 years. I'm actually considering down playing the pain at my next oncologist visit so that I stay on it - along the lines of it's there but I can cope with it!
    Part of me longs for the day when I no longer have to take this stuff but the other part of me remembers my oncologist saying you are 100% estrogen positive - you need to take anti hormone medication for as long as you can. 
    Congratulations on 10 years! That's really exciting for you.
  • Mollygirl
    Mollygirl Member Posts: 213
    @NolaJS, big congrats on your 10 year milestone !!! Go you!!! 
    I think your reaction to being 'set free' would be pretty normal. But you know, you are your best safety net. You know your body the best and any niggles or changes you follow up. I hope you've done something special for yourself to celebrate your 10 years - you deserve it!!! Xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Hi @NolaJS

Don't think of it as ending medication. That almost sounds like you haven't stayed the course, fallen by the wayside! You haven't, you've seen an arduous and difficult trek through to a successful end. As we all know, there are no guarantees but you deserve a pat on the back for sticking through thick and thin, for a decade, to do all you can to never go through this again. And set afloat? That again implies drifting, no clear objectives. I am sure you have had strong and lasting reasons for wanting to be well, reclaim your life. We can miss even irksome habits, that's natural. We can also fall out of the habit of feeling positive and hopeful. So time to get that habit back. You've worked so hard. Time to practice feeling good! Best wishes.  
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    If you are worried about going off of it cold turkey perhaps your oncologist could allow you to step down to half a tab for a few weeks and then every second day dose rate for a little longer?
  • NolaJS
    NolaJS Member Posts: 11
    Thank you friends for all your positive wishes. I am very grateful for all your posts. I am also very thankful that 10 years has passed and I am now cancer free. 
    I am currently planning an overseas trip to Scotland, my dream destination, to celebrate feeling positive and hopeful with my husband.
    God bless you and hope you all have successful outcomes. Best wishes.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Best wishes for your trip to Scotland - speaking as a former inmate, it is a marvelously scenic country and the people are very warm, but the weather much less so!  Have fun.