Tough Old Chicky Award

Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
I'd like to nominate my friend Ms M for the inaugural Tough Old Chicky award. Ms M, at 88 and following a formal BC diagnosis a week ago, had a mastectomy this morning and tells me she feels fine. Except the tea is shite.

We are never sure what goes on beneath the surface but this lady, who has seen more than her fair share of adversity, is an inspiration. Dry and erudite, she has taught me heaps about accepting what you can't change. With grace. Lessons about how to do the best you can with what you have and concentrate on what you do well. 

I'll take her decent tea tomorrow.

Tagged:

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    There are some remarkable human beings @Zoffiel in this world - sounds like you have found another one. Oh for a return to loose leaf tea brewed properly in a pot , served in bone china and HOT
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    I'm constantly in awe of older ladies, their drive and their ability to battle on. Truly inspirational. I'm 39yo and had my fair share of adversity and I feel that a lot from mine and younger generations are spoiled, entitled and plain soft. Don't get me wrong, I can cry and melt down with the best of 'em but I don't expect others to sook and baby me or do things for me when I can do it for myself. More than once during treatment I've been told I'm very stoic. I hope I'm like your 'tough old chicky' friend @Zoffiel
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Decent cuppa!  Makes all the difference! 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Remarkable women - maybe harsher times taught them to appreciate what they had and to savour the moment 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Tough Chucky's like her are what inspires me. My Mum was one and if I have half her strength, I think I'm doing well. Tell your friend best wishes from me, too. And enjoy that cuppa!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I can't be the only one that thinks having a schedule when you are 89 would be wonderful. I have times when I seem besieged by people who assume I am retired or dying to do so (they probably push rubbing kale on body parts too!!) and I can't think of too many things that are less desirable.   Things to do, places to be, people to meet!   Sounds good to me.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Great news @Zoffiel
    Any additional treatment at her age would be too cruel.
    You will have to keep us updated with her book.
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Definitely an inspiration to us all, old or young. I'm 71 yrs and find it tough going at times, but I  have to agree that a good cup of tea  makes all the difference. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It must be a maturity and grace about 80 yr age group. I had one in my hospital stay who was much the same. Fiercely independent too although she did have a very patient carer.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    The era of just getting on with it. And yes...hospital tea is shite...especially in those plastic mugs. Blerrk..
  • goldy
    goldy Member Posts: 2
    Well, I'm back to loose leaf tea after reading there is plastic in some tea bags.  What a woman and what a life she has probably had.  Good on her.