BC Survivor

Twiggyjumps
Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
edited February 2018 in General discussion
When is one defined as a Breast Cancer Survivor? Is there a time frame?
Tagged:

Comments

• nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    I count myself a survivor now I’ve finished active treatment besides medication. Not sure how others think xx Lesley 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    As soon as the surgeon has cut that sucker out !!!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Yep...straight from surgery. 2 years for me now.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Just over 5 years for me now :)
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    6 years for me.the ladies in my group call themselves livers not survivors
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I would think from diagnosis. Not everyone gets to have surgery especially if its at the metastatic stage. They aren't dead and still in the fight for life then in my book that should also count as a survivor. I am Two years, 4 months survivor with hopefully no mets. 
  • Twiggyjumps
    Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
    That’s exactly what I needed for a boost. Thank you. I feel that now people who haven’t been struck by any health issues seem to unconsciously put me in a category. Well I feel stronger than ever. Albeit I have, straight after chemo,  developed an acute L5 S1 herniated disc in my lumber. Pinching and aching most of the day especially worse when I drive. I get regular treatment but it’s not really doing a lot. I swim a little, do some exercise, try to eat well.  Back pain I consider worse than anything. But I soldier on and try to enjoy everything else and take on all kinds of projects.  I’m slowly getting used to my new body as I call it. New boobs, tight tum. I wouldn’t recommend a tummy tuck to anyone though even though my diep flap was a success. Not painful just the tummy muscles need building up again to help support my back. So all good work in progress. 

Boobs feel strange also. They look good apparently - lol - but loss of sensation. It’s been 12 months since diagnosis for me. But my back gives me the agony. Just sometimes a bit of anxiety creeps in about my journey and thank goodness you are all here for comfort.

Love you all.
    Anne xxx