Newbie Flozza105 needs advice about travel insurance etc.

SoldierCrab
SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
Hi there all you brave and wonderful women.
Im new to this. I was diagnosed with mets of the bones and now in my liver.
Im 55 years old and staying as positive as possible. 
My niece wants me to go to Japan in March for Cherry Blossom season.  One of my dream trips! But the whole travel insurance thing has me baffled.
Plus im on oral chemo and the worst-case scenarios scare me to travel.
Thoughts and advice please
January 19Comment
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel
    Hi @flozza105
    We need to get you into the main Forum, It's a bit confusing, but if you go in through the Discussions tab you will see where all the chatter happens. There is also a group for those with metastatic cancer. There are some very experienced campers in there who will have heaps of advice. The travel insurance thing comes up all the time. I don't have the nouse to move your comment across to the other page @soldiercrab can you help?

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    edited January 2018
    @Flozza105
    I have copied this over to the main forum for you that way people will see it and help you with answers. 
    @Zoffiel
    I just copy and paste it as new discussion :D 

• SoldierCrab
    @mum2jj
    @Cate64
    @Hopes_and_Dreams
    @DearB
    Can you ladies help with insurance questions please
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    @Flozza105,
    I have had insurance with covermore, however was not metastatic. What you can do is get insured and just have some exclusions. EG I have ongoing back pain and so they did not insure me for anything back related but all other things were insured. If you are at the point where your Mets are stable and don’t think they will put your trip off you could maybe be insured for any other illness that may cancel your trip but not cancer related stuff. Yiu may like to read this previous post re insurance
    good luck 
    Paula x
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hello @Flozza105, what a wonderful trip you have to look forward to.  I will also be in Japan around the same time.
    Not much I can add to what mum2jj has said.  I've travelled a couple of times since being diagnosed in August 2016.  Initially because I wasn't 6 months post op, no one would touch me except Covermore.  I was not metastatic so they just added an extra premium.  I hope your health remains stable and you are able to enjoy your trip with your daughter.
    Jane x

• Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Hi @Flozza105, sounds like you’ve got some good advice here but here’s a link to our factsheet in travel with metastatic breast cancer https://www.bcna.org.au/media/4247/bcna-fact-sheet-travel-insurance-with-metastatic-breast-cancer-jan-2017.pdf

• Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @Flozza105 Unfortunately for us with metastatic disease you will be unable to get cover for the cancer though they will cover you for everything else.

Having said that though, there was one company - that I cant remember the name - that would but the cost was almost $3000 for a 3 week holiday, which is probably why the name of the company did not stick in my head......
  • Cate64
    Cate64 Member Posts: 446
    @Flozza105 I should also tell you that I have traveled twice since my 'upgrade'... Between Chemo 4 & 5 (2016) I went on a cruise the PNG - yes you read that correctly, then last year I went to Singapore for 5 days then cruised back from there to Sydney. I did the PNG with Travel Insurance as it was taken out before my 'upgrade' but to Singapore I took travel insurance but was not covered for anything to do with the cancer. Had no dramas at all, though my intention was always to catch the first flight home should anything become a concern.
  • Flozza105
    Flozza105 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your help and advice.
    How do i get onto the forum?
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Hi @Flozza105, you are in the main forum but you posted to the activity page which doesn't get as much traffic. To post, you just need to click on the home page and click on 'new discussion'. You then choose a category you want it to go under. You can also post in the private groups if you are a member. I've sent you an invite to the 'living with metastatic breast cancer' group. I hope you have a wonderful time in Japan - such a magical place!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey @Flozza105, Talk about jealous of your trip - sounds magnificent!! Coming up soon too! Hope you have an awesome time. Xx Cath
  • DearB
    DearB Member Posts: 205
    Japan sounds lovely. I only had early stage but got cover through tick insurance they have an online questionnaire now and can give you pricing straight away. I am covered for cancer. As I listed it. 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Just a word of warning ladies it’s worth checking reviews for whoever you book with. Some companies will give you insurance,but claiming can be another problem. It’s always worth reading reviews. 
    Paula x