Feeling very confused on treatment

SandraAnn
SandraAnn Member Posts: 2
Hi all. Have been diagnosed two weeks ago. Booked in for surgery on the 16th jan for double mastectomy but very unsure if to have reconstruction or not.  This is obviously depending on the results as well and if it has travelled to other areas or still in the breast area. 
I have organised for pet scan this week not through the hosp as i wanted to know more before i make a direction to go. Hoping i have made the right decision there as well.
I am 46 still young. 
This is crazy, never expected this to happen to me as only losing my mum to cancer 2.5 yrs ago and brother 8 weeks after that. Life is so short and dont realise how quick life can change. 
Thanks for listening guys 

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm not much use to you for any experience as I'm new to this to. Just wanted to say hi and welcome. You'll get lots of good info from others, though.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi Sandra ann yes many of us here have decided to delay recon there are many reasons for this .
    Big breath......you dont have to rush this  let your mind and body get over the surgery first treatment.
    rads and chemo also can delay recon  Some have had recon years later All best Bright
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

Do you have a breast care Nurse? https//www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

https//www.bcna.org.au/resources/  Do you have a My journey Kit? 

@SandraAnn here are some resources that you might like to know about. 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I went through public health system in Adelaide and they ordered a whole body CT scan, a bone scan and a breast mri all under medicare before my bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expander reconstruction. I had core biopsy results and knew it was her2 positive. All was clear but nodes still send off and clear so no radiotherapy. Because it was preplanned I have a very good result as they preserved much of the skin. If tumour was located in a different spot I could of kept nipples....which would have avoided a 3rd surgery. 

I wanted reconstruction as I have trouble enough being bottom heavy never mind without boobs. I swim and didn't want the fuss. Actually a lot about my choices is so daily less fuss and stress. Get up, dress and go...that's me. My body image was highly connected to my boobs as it was my best feature in my mind. They of course don't look anything like my old boobs but in clothing I look pretty much as I did but without the neck and shoulder pain trying to hold them up. 
  • Hello5678
    Hello5678 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Hi SandraAnn,

I’m 43 and was diagnosed just over a month ago and had a mastectomy, lymph node removal and immediate reconstruction in December 2017. It’s a lot to take onboard and make decisions about isn’t it!

I had an immediate reconstruction because I was considered a good candidate (young age, not overweight, non-smoker) and I liked the idea of one operation and being able to look more like myself straight away. Mine was a DEIP reconstruction so I do have a new scar across my lower abdomen, but I got to keep my breast skin and nipple - so it’s like they removed the cancer and “re-stuffed” the breast. I’m still healing but am happy with the decision. Hopefully they’ll be close to symmetrical when the swelling goes down. So far it looks good! 

I had a breast cancer surgeon and a plastic surgeon (which my breast cancer surgeon referred me to) and went through the private system. I start Chemo in a week and will be having Radiation therapy after that. 

Good of luck making your decision. What I’ve learnt in this short time is that everyone’s cancer and path is different. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience with an immediate reconstruction. xo
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    There are many advantages to having immediate reconstructions. The main one, in my case, was getting everything over and done with. Treatment can really drag out and, for me, the idea of having to have more surgery at the end of it all was a deal breaker.

It's such a lot to take in and it does happen very quickly. You feel like you are being forced to make snap decisions about things that have considerable ramifications of  you get it wrong. Very stressful. 

Follow your gut instinct, it's the best tool you have at the moment. Try to cut out the background noise and maybe think about the advice you would give a friend who was in a similar situation. Good luck. Marg xxx
  • SandraAnn
    SandraAnn Member Posts: 2
    Hi ladies thanks so much for the comments. Im going to have reconstruction providing this doesnt interfere with treatments etc.but just unsure if the tummy one is the go or not. Its major surgery in itself but do like its only one surgery, not like the implant where you need to return for another.
    Am seeing surgeon again Friday so decision will have to be made then. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    The implant reconstruction changeover was very straight forward. After the initial time in recovery I only needed panadol for pain relief and remained in hospital for antibiotics only. I went for this sort as no delays as my breast surgeon did it under public system.