Last Herceptin

Payne
Payne Member Posts: 150
I have my last Herceptin today.  I have been having it as a sub cut since last December but Medicare told Oncologist I don't qualify for any more unless I pay for it ($3000).  The oncologist said medicare said they would consent to one more but has to be given as an IV infusion and they will only give partial dose.  I don't quite get this but a bit is better than nothing. So instead of a 10 minute slow push via sub cut, I have to be infused for 90 minutes.  I don't have any viable veins left in left arm and my right arm had all lymph nodes removed so don't know where they will put cannula.  The oncologist said to wait and see what the nurses think when I get there.  I know Herceptin is less irritating to veins than chemo drugs.  I guess Ill soon find out.

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    @Payne
    I hope that today is not a hard day in terms of finding a viable vein. 
    another dose done 
    Let us know how you are going 
    Soldiercrab

• Payne
    Thank you.  All went well. They were able to put a line in hand.  Was a bit of anticlimax.  I thought I had another one to go . Would like to h ave left  chemo nurses a gift but can do so when next visiting chemo oncologist. Im feeling weird. Just cut myself off from team and feeling bit vulnerable. results from mammogram and ultra sound will be in when last appoint with oncologist .  Trying to get back to work part time but struggling with chemo brain .  I Should be feeing elated but I  don't. Whats wrong with me/
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Nothing's wrong with you, you are having a very common reaction. All the more likely when your understanding of your last treatment was a bit out. Your visit next time will be appreciated just as much. Many people experience a sense of anticlimax, a lack of focus now that the doing is done, and a loss of being part of a team. Elation will come but for many it doesn't come straight away. You are finished treatment, but not healed. Be kind to yourself, don't expect too much too soon, you have taken the hard medicine but you still have a ways to go. Some time spent looking after your emotions and your energy will be well spent now. Take care.
  • SoldierCrab
    Nothing is wrong that is a very normal feeling .... 
    hugs 
    Soldiercrab

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Normal to feel adrift after such intensive treatment. This is when we often crash. So just be mindful. You have done a stella job and now you'll start picking up the pieces of your life. Ring those bells ....you're now a survivor. Kath x

• Payne
    Oh, I hadn't thought of it like that.  I guess it does put me into the survivor now.  I  get results of my mammogram and U/S 14th Dec but the person taking u/s said it looked clear to her.  Thanks for the bells x
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    @Payne Congratulations!  You are out the other side, well done to you.  It's been a long journey!  I don't understand the medicare side ... hopefully resolved?  My GP's wife told me to do something for myself to celebrate my last chemo, last Monday.  Even if it is a bunch of flowers.  I don't have any gfs geographically near me but I took myself out for coffee and my favourite cake. I felt I wanted a sense of closure which my family are unable to understand or contribute to but the chemo nurses and even the cashier at the hospital dispensary all 'got it' and said congrats.  I also wrote chemo a little goodbye letter and popped it on my facebook page (my supportive gfs read this though it doesn't have to be public).  I just felt I had to shut the door - well, slam it! - and move on to the next challenge, rad for 6 weeks and herceptin till Sept.  I understand that anticlimax feeling so tried to get rid of it.  Came home buzzing last Monday and expected family to share my high, but nothing.  So as Sarah Henderson said, if you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, go down there yourself and switch the bloody thing on! (Sometimes easier said than done!)  Best wishes, and good onya!☺
  • SoldierCrab
    @viking1
     just stole the saying by Sarah Henderson and put on my facebook page if I can get the picture to save I will post it on here for all to see. 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    This was put up by someone ages ago and I kept it as a reminder!  Here you go @SoldierCrab
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Great pic! I almost got the quote right lol.  I think we will all come out of this experience stronger ... even if we don't feel it now or have rotten days feeling like weak little bubs. Even if our bodies are weakened.  Our minds are doing battle.