Waiting for oncologist ??

Options

Comments

• Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    That's great news @Jazz26 we can all relate to wanting to get treatment underway. Fantastic you have a supportive partner to help you through, too. Make sure you give her the info for partners from your my journey kit. It's tough going and she may also find she needs someone to talk to. Good luck with your appointments.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Jazz26 It's good to hear that you have a couple of appointments now, I think having some direction helps with it all. I too attended my Oncologists 1st appointment alone and sat in my car incredibly distraught for a little while. I've always done majority of my appointments alone, only because I found it easier strangely as I didnt have to worry about how they were coping. 

So wonderful to hear of your supportive partner, I was only 6 months into a new relationship when I had my 2nd diagnosis, it was super tough, but he's been a rock and with me for 3yrs now :) 

So hold tight, a step at a time, and breathe, keep us in the loop how your appts go. Hugs Melinda xo
  • Jazz26
    Jazz26 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Jual the side affects sound a little scary !! Glad you are getting better with each session though. Luckily I already have a pretty good medicine cabinet but I will be adding to it I think. keeping a diary of each day certainly sounds like a plan too !! Thank you for sharing with me wink:
  • Jazz26
    Options
    Thanks @Molly001 Yes I have given that to her and she has been doing research herself about support groups etc. Unfortunately there does not seem to be much out there for same sex couples. We will keep looking though cheers.
  • Jazz26
    Options
    Thanks Melinda I can understand the thing of being easier because you are right you don't have to worry about their feelings as well as yours. It's awesome you are still together !! He sure is a keeper :wink:
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi Jazz.

Chemo would be the most daunting appointing I think.  Don't forget, they will tell you every possible side effect you can get.  It doesn't mean you WILL get them.  I absolutely howled my eyes out after this appointment.  However everyone is different.  I had 4 x AC 3 weeks apart.  12 x weekly paclitaxel.  I managed the AC pretty well up until the last one which took about 10 days to recover from properly.  The paclitaxel was a lot more tolerable for me but I ended up with a weird skin reaction and had to stay on prednisone the whole time.  During chemo I had christmas, my twins 18th birthday which we had planned to go away for, my stepsons 21st, my step daughters formal and graduation and her 18th birthday.  I managed them all,  and had a great time.  I kept my hair with cold capping, didn't lose my eyelashes or eyebrows, worked two days a week and managed to still help my husband run the farm.  The only thing I had a major problem with was the Neulasta injection.  Major skin reaction, incredible bone aches to the point of not walking and ended up in ED.  I just refused to take it from then on.  I felt like crap on some days but overall pretty ok.  Oh and ask for Ondanzatron (not sure of spelling) for nausea as it worked a lot better than the other stuff they give you.
  • Jazz26
    Options
    Hi @kezmusc thanks for the info and yes it all seems pretty daunting and I haven't even got to the appointment yet ! lol
    I'm hoping it won't be needed but we will see hey. Yes I am familiar with Ondansetron as I am a volunteer ambo and it is one of the drugs we use. Will keep you all updated with the progress thank you.
  • Jazz26
    Options
    Today I decided to do chemo unfortunately. The oncologist strongly recommended it because of the size (24mm), the fact it is grade 2 and the pathology showing that 40% of the cells are multiplying rapidly. The 40% was quite scary to hear ! Deep down I already knew it was likely to be the case but hearing that I had such a high percentage of cells developing rapidly really made me think Shit this thing is real & aggressive ! There was no doubt in my mind then that I had to give it a go no matter how high my fears of it all. Treatment should start next Friday I'm just waiting for them to confirm. Guess I have a week to get myself organised !!
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    @Jazz26 I think chemo is the one we dread the most, for obvious reasons. Don't panic, though. It's certainly no party, but most of us find it better than expected and definitely do-able. Your oncologist monitors you closely and they have a whole heap of things to help manage the nasty side effects. Some people are so well they can comfortably work right through. We all have those moments of 'wow, this is getting real' but I think a certain amount of acceptance comes with that. Keep busy for the week and try not to over-think it. It's so individual and you won't know how you're going to react until you do it. 
  • melclarity
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @jazz26 glad you at least got your results, my tumor was 2.5cm Stage 2, Grade 3, sounds like yours is too? as the Grade is how rapidly the cells are dividing and how aggressive. My oncologist said his rule is with pathology grade 3 he orders Chemo. 

I remember my first infusion, I went alone  had company for about 3 of them, I did all my appointments however alone, I just found it easier than managing someone else. I was petrified, the Staff were amazing! so communicate absolutely everything and a day at a time and you'll get through it. 

Hugs Melinda
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Do you know what chemo you are on?
    I did all my visits with my husband (except the last ...I was really annoyed he missed that one). I was quite sleepy after doses. 
  • Jazz26
    Options
    Apparently I'm on Docetaxel & Cyclophosphamide for the chemo.. don't really know much else about the drugs. lol
    Tamoxifen was mentioned or something else ? Overload right now I think.
  • melclarity
    Options
    @jazz26 do you know your diagnosis? Docetaxel and Cyclophosphamide is used for Her2- diagnosis. Also Tamoxifen means you are also ER+ Estrogen receptive. Tamoxifen is only a tablet and you have that once chemo is finished. It is overload, ask away am sure we can help decipher some things. :) Hugs Melinda 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Options
    @Jazz26 your Oncologist should give you a sheet for each of your drugs and their side effects.
    if they haven't you can download one from the Internet. I used eviQ cancer treatments online fact sheets. I had FEC, but you may be having AC. It will give you excellent information. Another great website is chemocare.com, you can research the individual drugs there and I found the way they set out the side effects, with how common they were, most helpful.

Regarding support groups, I know some are better than others, but I have attended many in my area, and no one cares what sort of couple you are, if you have cancer or are supporting someone who has, you are welcomed into the group with warmth and compassion. I hope you find one you are comfortable with, because for me they made all the difference struggling through everything that came with the treatment. 
    If you happen to live on Central Coast NSW I can certainly help with who to contact.
  • Salpal
    Salpal Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I have my surgery this coming Thurs.
    Confirmed B.C 4 weeks ago today.
    This has been a great thread to read as l think this shows we have to be proactive in our treatment as we can perhaps get a bit lost in the system.
    I am ER Pos with a 2.8 cm tumor and have opted for lumpectomy and node removal.
    Good luck with your appts and upcoming treatment xx