Getting on fluids in hospital

Spiv1803
Spiv1803 Member Posts: 126
hi fabulous ladies.
As my 2nd round of AC chemo was horrendous, I want to be admitted to hospital after my 3rd round tomorrow and get on a fluid bag to see if it makes a difference.
i don't want to be a hero because it's not good for anyone at home to see me in bed all weekend anyway.
What does every one think? Too precious?
it was just awful!

Comments

• Polly Rose
    Polly Rose Member Posts: 67
    Hi Spiv1803
    I was hospitalised for my second and fourth rounds of AC and found it really helpful. I was able to get more fluids and rest without my family having to tip toe around me. It was my oncologist that suggested it as he said he could give more support as an inpatient and he was right. If you are having trouble with the side effects of treatment then you are definitely not being precious. At the end of the day it's about getting through your treatment in the best shape that you can and if that includes a short stay in hospital then why not. Good luck with round 3. I hope your side effects can be better controlled.
    Polly
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good plan, @Spiv1803 Looking after the people who are meant to be looking after us is just exhausting. Retreating is not a bad idea if you feel OK with it.
  • Spiv1803
    Hi Polly Rose, thanks so much... just what I was hoping to hear! Did you get admitted or did you just have more fluid after your treatment? I've heard some people just get an extra bag of saline after their treatment, but I don't start to feel like crap until 3rd day. So for example if I have my treatment on Wednesday, Thursday I am still fairly OK but Friday it starts, and I'm in bed til Monday. I'd like to be admitted on the Friday possibly. Not sure, how did you do it?

• Spiv1803
    Yeah thanks Zoffiel, I agree.
  • ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Hi Ladies, Reading this post does it mean after Chemo if one is not so good Dr can put you in hospital . Shazx
  • Polly Rose
    Polly Rose Member Posts: 67
    Hi Spiv1803 and Shaz
    after my second round of AC I was at the hospital for an injection on day 2 when my Oncologist came in and saw me. He suggested then that he aadmit me for a few days and get some fluid into me while I had a good rest. I was in for 4 days I think. After my 3rd round of AC he suggested that he admit me again for round four on the day of chemo this time and then have me stay for a few days to get more medical support. I ended up needing a blood transfusion anyway so it was a good thing that I was already in hospital. They simply administered my chemo in my room rather than in the chemo ward and it meant that by the time I came home I was over the worst of the side effects and much better hydrated and rested.  For all of my other chemo they gave me extra fluid before I went homeeach time which also really helped. If you think it will lessen the impact of the side effects for you then have that conversation with your oncologist. Their aim is to keep you as comfortable as possible..  Good luck to both of you and please let us know how you are getting on.

Polly

• ShazS
    ShazS Member Posts: 131
    Thanks and will do . Start Chemo Tuesday, and good to know we can have options to help us along the way and as you said to make us comfortable. Kind Regards Shazx