Exercise can apparently lessen the rate of cancer cell growth and even help prevent its recurrence.

124»

Comments

• Teejay
    Teejay Member Posts: 25
    The university of qld also runs exercise programs for cancer patients under treatment or finished treatment.   If anyone lives in Brisbane 
  • alexinbrisbane
    alexinbrisbane Member Posts: 223
    I do recall a time where I rang my best friend (on a day off) and told her I was tired...she told me to have a nap.... So I went for a 40 min walk instead and, hey presto, my energy came back for the rest of the day. Taught me a valuable lesson but there are days (not many) where I will have a power nap, when and if I can.
    Another interesting personal fact, I have more energy during the day when I exercise first thing in the morning. That's probably the lovely, feel-good endorphins.
    I hope this might help some of you and hope you get thru the fatigue soon. Alex xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Agree, I love my garden, live on acres and a wander around can rejuvenate the energy levels even though fatigue has plagued me for a very long time!  Long ago when I was training for a marathon we were on the road before 6.00am and yes that would set me up for the day!  
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I often say instead of a nap take a lap. If I'm still fatigued after ...well I have a nap...or nobody gets tea. 
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    I have been watching research from my Solaris Centre that is saying meditation is a key preventative in the mind body connection for cancer prevention ... not exercise. Whilst I think a nice walk or meander is great, I am interested in this research for those of us who can't face a walk. Having said that, after a swim or meander I do feel much better.  The Headspace app is free for a period of time and takes you from 3 min meditations x10, to 5mins x 10, and then 10mins x 10. I found it excellent, struggled with some of the 10mins but anyone can do the 3mins and you do feel refreshed after! A mindulness counsellor put me on to it, then a recent psych uni grad. I would not be able to sit for an hour and meditate ... mind too busy. So this is a good intro. After 30 days they try to get you to upgrade which involves $. So please try the freebie trial even if you think you could never meditate ... that was me!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited November 2017
    You can download free apps...one called smiling mind. One call mindshift. Both have guided mindfulness techniques on it. There are plenty more out there. They have short ones and long ones and are a great way to reduce stress. Once mastered it is easy to take a few minutes to calm a busy mind. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Lots of local libraries have lots of CDs of mediation for loan I went and got it copied it to my computer, if it was good for me. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @viking1 I agree with you totally i meditate and i exercise a little to a point but not to exert myself. Enough to feel good but meditation doesn't surprise me at all the research and its links.
  • alexinbrisbane
    alexinbrisbane Member Posts: 223
    I agree with meditation, although I have difficulty finding the right time. At night I fall asleep (not a bad thing) so I guess, subliminal meditation is still good. 
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    @alexinbrisbane yes I’ve noticed if I push myself and go to exercise classes in the morning I feel good. And have s bit of a spring in my step. I’m trying guided meditations and doing “whatever it takes” To get through and hopefully repair and recover.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I agree with@Sam09 exercise helps more than anything with my headspace - my daily one hour walk , twice weekly stretch/ balance class and my Encore hydrotherapy all keep me sane and calm - I need them and notice the difference when something else crops up and I miss it esp the walk . I have never be an exerciser but now I get cranky if I miss it. I agree it helps with anger, anxiety and all the other roller coaster of emotions I have experienced since my diagnosis .