New member to the B.C Club

Salpal
Salpal Member Posts: 43
edited November 2017 in Newly diagnosed
Hi all,
I have been stalking this page for last few days and am in awe of all the amazing women on here and the sage advice you are all able to share.
My story so far - l am 42 and mother to 3. I found a lump in my right breast 2 weeks ago. My G.P referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound and after reviewing sent me to my now breast surgeon. She confirmed it was a cancer and we now need to find out what type. Core biopsy results are in and l have an invasive Oestrogen positive lump grade 2-3 stage 2, Nodes appear clear. Recommend treatment is to remove lump first and then begin chemo. First l will have MRI and C.T to be sure l am clear everywhere else. Surgery wil be in next few weeks and then chemo to follow.
I feel so much more positive having a game plan and will go into this with a can do attitude. I also know this site and all you wonderful warriors will be able to guide me through this and l hope as l travel along and learn the ropes l too will be able to offer that same support. 

Tagged:

Comments

• LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Welcome @Salpal, great place to come for lots of support and encouragement. I was er positive stage 3 grade2 with 2 nodes positive. I had chemo first then mastectomy of right breast with total axillary clearance. Now I'm just one week away from finishing radiation. It's a long process but one  day at a time. All the best.
    Lisa x
  • nonkyboy
    nonkyboy Member Posts: 188
    Welcome @Salpal to the group none of wants to be a part of. I did the same as you when I first arrived and staked the pages for a few days to get a lay of the land shall we say. I’m sorry you have had to join us too but you will certainly find lots of positivity and great advice here. Don’t be shy and ask as many questions as you want to. None are silly and someone will usually be around to answer for you. Keep yourself busy over the next few weeks while you wait for your surgery and surround yourself with positive people who will be there for you when you need them. Take care xx Lesley
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Welcome @Salpal sounds like you've taken advice from the forum already and you're well on your way to a treatment plan, which will help you feel more in control. We're here for your questions, rants, vents etc. Whatever you need. 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hello @Salpal and welcome. While you're a couple of weeks away from surgery the time will drag so here's a link to download an info sheet on what to take to hospital with you. It's been put together by a few ladies here to try and help ease the pressure a little bit -  https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html
    Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you're going and if you need to come and vent or are scared silly and need a chat we are all here to help you. Big hug lovely. Xx Cath

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi and Welcome. Well you've got through some of tje worst parts...the waiting to know. At least now you do have a plan. Have you are breast care nurse and have you got a my care kit and a post surgical bra planned?

I kept busy researching and prepping.
    I got my hospital gear ready.
    I bought some scarves and researched how to tie them.
    I found a wig library and picked a wig (which I never wore)
    I had to buy bigger clothes as I stress eat.
    I went to the dentist and had my teeth checked and cleaned pre chemo and started flossing daily without fail. 

You could do some cooking ahead ready for chemo. Things like casseroles or lasagnes etc. There are many prep ahead slower cooker recipe ideas you could do.
    I set up a private fb page to share my cancer journey so people could read how I was going. I posted hospital pics, chemo rounds etc. Saved me telling them all individually.

Ask anything you want. We are here to help with what we can. Kath x
  • Salpal
    Thank you ladies for your kind words and suggestions. I plan on utilising this site to help me get through this and l truly believe l will get through this and come out the other side a better person with some fabulous new friends. I'm making lemonade from lemons xx
  • Salpal
    @primek - wow l have not thought of that, thank you for some great tips. I received the My journey kit today. I did not know about the my care kit or the post surgical bra -thank you. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Welcome @Salpal. The girls have given good tips and links. Even if you just want to come on and have a rant about the injustice of it all, thats ok too. <3

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there lovey. Welcome to the place where all the cool kids hang out! There definately are some really awesome people on this forum and all too happy to give you any advice you need about anything. There are also some good support services out there if you need them too so just sing out. I live brisbane north and am familiar with them where I am if you are anywhere near me. Also cooking prior to treatment is what I did too just makes life easier and I’m sure you’re normally an independent bugger but if you have people offer to help with the kids, housework, bills, or anything else it is totally find to accept that help. You will soon find out who your true friends are and be prepared as some might drop off your radar too. I was 43 last year when I was diagnosed with triple neg bc stage 2a grade 3 no lymph nodes involved and scans all clear had left mastectomy so I only had to have chemo and not rads as well then took the other boob off 6 months later as I chose too I had 8 rounds of chemo. It is doable and it helps to be organised and like always @InkPetal has some great ideas to get you organised. I bloody hated the wigs too they were hot and annoying and I never wore it I just got really cool bandanas to wear which I loved. Keep in touch love. Margie. Xx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

Hi Sal,

Great to see you going in with a game plan. Despite the horror stories that you will be told by some not terribly helpful people, including complete strangers ( think being pregnant) a good many of us sail through treatment with minimal, or very manageable side effects.

Yes, there are a few Calamity Jane's here ***guilty eye roll*** but the benefit of that is we have a really good idea about what might, or probably won't, help when you are pissed off, blocked up or when any of the other myriad weirdo things associated with chemo are an issue.

The best advice anyone gets is to be kind to yourself. Delegate stuff, rest when you can and never feel like you have failed if things don't go as you have planned. It's a big job, this cancer stuff, in the end we muddle through somehow. Marg xxx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Hi there lm 5 years post and l just wanted to say welcome. You will have good days bad days and better days but you get there.
  • Salpal

Brenda5 said:

Welcome @Salpal. The girls have given good tips and links. Even if you just want to come on and have a rant about the injustice of it all, thats ok too. <3

primek said:

Hi and Welcome. Well you've got through some of tje worst parts...the waiting to know. At least now you do have a plan. Have you are breast care nurse and have you got a my care kit and a post surgical bra planned?

I kept busy researching and prepping.
    I got my hospital gear ready.
    I bought some scarves and researched how to tie them.
    I found a wig library and picked a wig (which I never wore)
    I had to buy bigger clothes as I stress eat.
    I went to the dentist and had my teeth checked and cleaned pre chemo and started flossing daily without fail. 

You could do some cooking ahead ready for chemo. Things like casseroles or lasagnes etc. There are many prep ahead slower cooker recipe ideas you could do.
    I set up a private fb page to share my cancer journey so people could read how I was going. I posted hospital pics, chemo rounds etc. Saved me telling them all individually.

Ask anything you want. We are here to help with what we can. Kath x

• Salpal
    Hi ladies, thank you all for the great tips and advice.
    @primek and @onemargie do you recommend a site for head scarves, l don't think l'm a wig person. 
    @onemargie l am in Melbourne and will look for local support group.
    @Zoffiel l do a mean eye role and loved Calamity Jane as a kid so l will fit right in.
    Update - l am booked for 23/11/17 for surgery. This is the same date my 14 y.o daughter leaves for a volleyball tournament in N.Z so its going to be a crazy day.
    Love and light ladies
  • primek
    I got some cotton based budget scarves from Kmart under $10 each and from cheap as chips. I also bought some nice chemo caps. My chemo went through winter so I had lots of normal wooly caps and would wear a bamboo wig cap under.  Also essential to buy a sleep cap as in air conditioning your head can get really cold. 

This one has some starter packs which are good.

https://www.hathouse.com.au/

Some nice ones here

https://www.hatshow.com.au/index.php?route=common/allproducts&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOvPBRBxEiwAx2nhLptB2Ze9mEsYR9AazZMFQ6DorCDeXITNlSMt3hZLDyCkR-W4hnhqjRoCz3UQAvD_BwE

New site  I've not seen but looks good.

http://treatmetreasureme.com.au/headwear/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhOvPBRBxEiwAx2nhLsxnkw4aO0A2mYr_lm-wx7Y7_juva4S8HeH6OEELYKrp70jQaSsV-RoCJosQAvD_BwE

If you swim...this is great as UV protection and can be worn under a straw hat too. I wore mine in aquafit with clear safety glasses as my eyes became sensitive to chlorine.

http://www.nammuhats.com/special-needs/chemotherapy-hats/

One chemo units also have volunteers making lovely capa ...so be sure to ask as they gorget to offer. Sone of my favourites were home made. I probably had about 20 scarves and 20 caps. I was a bit obsessed. Haha. 
  • primek
    Sometimes those skinny silk scarves can spice up a basic cap. I did that a lot. 
    The caps were my favourite in summer as I had frequent hot flushes and easy to whip on and off.